Arrrrgus

Change HDD, software in Storesafe Pro II

Hello,

I am dusting off an old workhorse of a security DVR, a GE Storesafe Pro II, aka SDVR-4-80. 

The old harddrive has died and taken the DVR's operating software with it.

I understand that the manufacturer (Interlogix) has gone out of business, however, this site seems to have the operating software (firmware?) to install on the replacement hard drive.

https://www.dvraid.com/dvr-firmware/interlogix-firmware-software-tools-download/

I have seen and noted this discussion:

" If you are stuck with no way forward then maybe its worth a try. It involves opening up the DVR, disconnecting the hard drives cables, connecting to your PC via USB. See what is on the drives, save a copy of the firmware to your PC drive (except video files).

In my case I had a brand new drive & had to:

-- format to FAT32, but I suppose you would just need to delete files.

-- download the required firmware

-- unzip & copy to the primary drive.

-- Remove PC cables, reconnect & boot up.

WARNING - this is not a recommended method for GE DVR's, only a personal suggestion for more research along these lines to be used only as a last & final resort once all other avenues have been followed."

https://www.cctvforum.com/topic/16271-storesafe-pro-ii-firmware-issue/

I may have to go with this method, as I do not profess expertise in the inner workings of these systems.  If anyone can confirm this method, or suggest a better one, please respond.

My secondary question is, the best firmware package to copy to the SDVR's harddrive itself.  As noted above, this DVR is a 4-camera system, and the firmware offered on the DVRaid website was this:

StoreSafe_ProII-04_V6_32.zip

My thanks in advance for installation instructions.

SDVR-4-80_1.gif

Hi. You would just be wasting your time …. 420 tvl systems finished years ago 

it would be cheaper to buy a new dvr

you can’t burn off to a usable method 

no internet connection 

submitting CD to law enforcement is not an option used anymore

Success!

In followup to my OP, I followed the original poster's instructions and the old GE StoreSafe Pro II / SDVR-4-80 is now working, albeit with a larger HDD and a DVD-RW.

It's early in the test run, so there is much I have to learn on how Storesafe ver. 5.61 works. 

Such as: "Enable / Disable" BNC camera ports.  

For some reason the even numbered camera ports are disabled.  According to the Storesafe Pro II operating manual, on p.61, the [F] "function" button should toggle a camera Enable / Disable screen.  But for some reason, that isn't happening.  Aside from that, the installation of the Storesafe operating system worked according to instructions.

As an added note, the SDVR is supposed to be connected to a PC by ethernet connection, with True Vision Navigator installed on the PC.  According to the literature, TVNav v5 is backwards compatible to legacy hardware and will still work with Windows 8.

I post this information in the event there are others who wish to revive and upgrade an old GE SDVR (the numbers which follow reflect how many BNC camera ports the DVR has and how large the internal hard drive is).

6 hours ago, Arrrrgus said:

Success!

BUT

For some reason the even numbered camera ports are disabled.

I post this information in the event there are others who wish to revive and upgrade an old GE SDVR

First of all you haven’t done a successful upgrade …… also you can’t upgrade a 20 year old system……. It does not have the hardware for it to upgrade 20 years

so your still using proprietary software to play backup (the pro has its own compression) so not comparable with other plays

what cameras are you using ??  Again it’s pointless looking for 480tvl cameras to run on it

succeeds …….. is the wrong word 

“Always with you what cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?…
You must unlearn what you have learned…."

-- Yoda

I'm running 2 security cameras on it now.

(shrugs)

Yoda.png

1 hour ago, Arrrrgus said:

I'm running 2 security cameras on it now.

Yes but it’s a 4 channel….. so not success 

software hardware is 2005 ….. can’t run new cameras on it also uses its own compression 

don’t take the negative side …. Look at it as not wasting your time

More success!

Got a third channel working.  Channel 3 still seems stuck, but this may be a function of the connections.

Not the most user friendly software, but then again, it's also supposed to be connected to a PC via ethernet cable, which I have not yet attempted.

I will be installing True Vision Navigator  ver. 5.0 on a test bed, then try the ethernet connection.

Note:  bootup takes a long time.  Even though the software says that it is version 6, on boot it reads StoreSafe VER. 5.61 (then gives the size of the HDD).

Thanks for your encouragement!

Even MOWR success.

All four channels now online. 

Tried re-connecting the BNC-connector for the missing camera and then re-booting.

Evidently, that did the trick.  Boot up takes a very long time

16 hours ago, Arrrrgus said:

I will be installing True Vision Navigator  ver. 5.0 on a test bed, then try the ethernet connection.

On a dvr that is years old 2005

you want to pay for navigator for a 2005 dvr … it does not even have drivers for navigator

True Vision Navigator  ver. 5.0 2010 & later

and only supports cif 2010 ….. your 2005 so not compatible 

Thank you for your ceaseless encouragement. 

For those interested in getting an old GE Interlogix StoreSafe Pro II / SVDR-4-80 operational:

==========================================

Please note: Interlogix is no more.  Long live interlogix:

From CARRIER, apparently, the caretaker of the old Interlogix domain:

Dear Customer,

**PLEASE READ THE BELOW CAREFULLY**

Interlogix North America shut down at the end of 2019 and is no longer producing or selling any product. Please look below for further resources to assist you with your inquiry:

• Dealer Tech Support: As of December 31, dealer tech support has ended for Interlogix products.
  • Dealers: If you have defective parts that were purchased through distribution and are still under warranty, please reach back out to that distributor to process a RMA request
  • Pricing/Availability/Quotes: As Interlogix North America has wound down, pricing, availability and quotes are no longer available

TruVision Navigator, various versions, can still be downloaded, with the older versions / non-pro versions, license free.

Interlogix

TruVision Navigator download
Manages surveillance systems with TruVision

File name: truvision_navigator_4-0-18-38.zip

Downloading version 4.0 from Software Informer
https://truvision-navigator.software.informer.com/download/#downloading

TruVision® Navigator

Download the latest free version of TruVision Navigator with great features for managing your TruVision system. So you can experience all that TruVision Navigator has to offer, we are including a free 7-day trial of additional advanced features, including advanced video capabilities, TruPortal™ access control integration and IFS® network switch web client integration. After 7 days, the advanced features will be disabled, but the core software will continue to operate.

Usage & Access Options

There is only one version of TruVision Navigator software to download, and it includes both standard and advanced features. However, there are three ways that you can access TruVision Navigator software. Choose the option that meets your needs, complete the accompanying form, then start using this powerful and advanced VMS solution.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the nature of Navigator v9 being a 64-bit application, the following recorders are no longer compatable with Nav 9: DSR, DVMRE, DVSE, DVSR, DVR30, DVR31, NVR40, StoreSafe, SVR, SymDec and must be removed from any existing Navigator database before installation. Users of these legacy recorders should download and use Navigator v7.1.

https://www.interlogix.com/navigator/software

Download Free Version now

Developer: UTC Fire & Security

Operating system:Windows XP/7/8/10

https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/TruVision-Navigator.html

================================

Interlogix

TruVision Navigator 4.0 Quick Start Guide

https://static.interlogix.com/library/1064109%20D%20TruVision%20Navigator%204.0%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

================================

I will be uploading one or more versions of TruVision Navigator onto a dedicated testbed machine and see how well those work.  According to the online literature, the TVN is backwards-compatible with the hardware, yet still coded to work with Windows 7/10.

As I have quite a bit of older hardware / software lying around, there is zero cost, and whichever machine I put together can be dedicated to this CCTV system.  Essentially, no cost, using available materials.   I'll keep the curious posted.

40 minutes ago, Arrrrgus said:

Thank you for your ceaseless encouragement. 

For those interested in getting an old GE Interlogix StoreSafe Pro II / SVDR-4-80 operational:

Your the one that came on to forum to ask questions …… no one’s fault if you don’t like the answers

40 minutes ago, Arrrrgus said:

I will be uploading one or more versions of TruVision Navigator onto a dedicated testbed machine and see how well those work.  According to the online literature, the TVN is backwards-compatible with the hardware,

Yes your absolutely right ….. BUT only to 2010 units ….. yours is 2005

so different compression so makes it a proprietary system …….. useless for law enforcement…….. plus only a cif unit 

no one is going to be interested in a 2005 dvr or even bother wasting money on digital cameras only to use the analog side…… as your unit won’t run modern cameras

StoreSafe has been loaded onto the new, (well, newer, and larger IDE) HDD.

All four cameras are operational (BNC connections).

TruVision Wave Reader ver 4.2 and TruVision Navigator ver 4.0 loaded onto a stand-alone testbed machine.

Both software suites seem to have installed and are running without apparent issues.

What needs to be done now is to configure the StoreSafe Pro II internal settings, such as time/date and network settings.

Instructions on setting up connection to a computer, (most likely by ethernet cable) would be welcome.

Quad - Copy.jpg

3 hours ago, Arrrrgus said:

What needs to be done now is to configure the StoreSafe Pro II internal settings, such as time/date and network settings.

Menu 3 times …. Turn wheel to right then enter code then pick time date

BUT setting time a date at this stage will not allow internet connection

3 hours ago, Arrrrgus said:

Instructions on setting up connection to a computer, (most likely by ethernet cable) would be welcome.

2005 a few software licences have ran out by now ….. this is why I say don’t do date and time

dvr and pc must both be in dvr service date ( a time when licences are valid)

dvr and pc need to have date set to around 2006 to 2010

2003 to 2009 DVRs need.   wave reader   On pc to talk with dvr