AndreaH1

Help choosing camera to reach wife long range

Hello, I have a wireless camera (cheapy from amazon) in my chicken coop.  We recently remodeled our house and the router moved to the other side of the house (further away from coop area).  I used to be able to connect to the router with no problem.  Now, not so lucky, I'm sure it's a range issue.  I bought an extender and put it at the side of the house closest to the coop but still not enough.  I didn't spend alot on the extender because, well, it's a chicken coop, not super important, more of a fun thing.  It's a netgear ex3700.  So my question - is there a camera that would have better ability of picking up the signal that's not over 100 bucks?  Or would a better extender do the trick?  I'm guessing the footage from where I have the extender to the coop is about 200-250 feet, probably not quite that much but trying to overestimate.  The extender is approximately 35-40 feet from my router and has all green lights.  I'd like to try to find a solution that doesn't break the bank.  Any help would be appreciated!  I've tried googling but the information is overwhelming and doesn't really tell me how far the camera can be away and still pick up signal.  BTW, looking for a camera (if that's the better route) that pans and tilts. 

Hoping someone has some ideas, thanks in advance!

Yes, the camera is plugged in to an outlet.  Without running down to look I "think" it does have an rj45 port (had to google it).  And an update, think the coop is only about 150 feet away from the house.  Hoping for an easy fix, if you might be suggesting running cable to it, that wouldn't work right now, live in ny state and it's cold!  :)

Hi   Then yes you have a easy option

unlike Wi-Fi extender’s that do have problems with distance and walls in the way 

the other option is Ethernet over your existing mains power

something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1DJEGHEI84W60&keywords=tp+link&qid=1644482665&sprefix=tp+link%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-3

Ok, so how does this work - I plug it in at the house then run an ethernet cable to the coop?  If so, it's something that will have to wait til spring/summer.  So you think there might not be another camera out there that has a more powerful ability to pick up wifi (and if so, how do you find one - trial and error?)?  Or would a better extender work?  I bought a lower cost model, it says it does 1000 sq. ft....what if I bought one that covers 1500 or more?  My phone picks up the signal in the coop but it's too weak for my camera I guess.

Hi no there is no cable to run …… the power cable going to your coop will also transmit your camera data 

there is two in a kit ….. one plugs into mains power by your router and a lead goes from the plug into your router 

the second plug you plug in by your camera and then you plug the lead into your camera and Ethernet on the plug ….. all leads are supplied and it’s all plug and play …… then you don’t have to bother with Wi-Fi 

OH!  That's interesting and seems like it might solve the issue!  Only thing is they look pretty large, we only have two outlets in the coop and one is for the camera which has a fairly large plug.  Going to have to see if this would fit.  Can't do a surge strip because chickens are aholes (lol), anything they see that is "out of place" they peck at...a surge strip would zap 'em good!  :) Going to see if I can find a smaller version and have to double check my camera.  Ack, was just reading more about it and probably won't work.  We have two electrical panels and of course, the router is on a different panel.  :(  I can't win.

Oh, if you have access to electricity in your chicken coop, then you are very lucky. Not everyone can get him there. If so, I advise you to install wireless security cameras. With it, you will be able to track not only what is happening, but also, of course, who got in there. In addition, the records are saved, which is very important if you are going to go somewhere. The main advantage of the camera is that it can rotate and tilt, which gives an excellent viewing angle. And the more we see, the more we know, don't we?

• Like 1