Sign in to follow this  
Savatreatabvr

Mixing Cat6 & Cat5e Cable. Yes or No?

I upgraded from the cat5e cable LOREX supplied when I bought their 16ch NVR system to a UV protected cat6 cable because the cable is being installed outdoors plus cat6 is simply a much better cable. My issue is, my last cable run is about 150' short (out of a 1000' roll) and it would be much easier to use one of the 16 cat5e cables LOREX supplied with the new system rather than buying more cat6 cable and waiting for it to be shipped. Would going from cat6 to cat5e harm the NVR or possibly hurt the performance of the camera?

I'm sure this is a no-brainer for some of you, I'm just hesitant because I don't want to damage a $2800 NVR system. 

istockphoto-1078518540-612x612.jpg

Yes you can connect cat5 to 6 ….. but it’s never good to have a join in any cat cable

you are best using jelly been push down connectors and also keep the twisted ends as short as you can 

something like this will keep the connections water proof and then just put them into a plastic junction box

the other good reason for jelly bean connectors is it will lock down on cat6 (23) cat5 (24)

https://www.amazon.com/Antrader-Waterproof-Orange-Connector-Telephone/dp/B07D3LXHJL/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2Z5JBFWG4V08D&keywords=jelly+bean+connectors&qid=1644796454&sprefix=jelly+bean+con%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-4

On 2/13/2022 at 4:58 PM, tomcctv said:

Yes you can connect cat5 to 6 ….. but it’s never good to have a join in any cat cable

you are best using jelly been push down connectors and also keep the twisted ends as short as you can 

something like this will keep the connections water proof and then just put them into a plastic junction box

the other good reason for jelly bean connectors is it will lock down on cat6 (23) cat5 (24)

https://www.amazon.com/Antrader-Waterproof-Orange-Connector-Telephone/dp/B07D3LXHJL/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2Z5JBFWG4V08D&keywords=jelly+bean+connectors&qid=1644796454&sprefix=jelly+bean+con%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-4

My plan was to crimp on a rj45 connector on both splice ends and use a rj45 in-line coupler but I've had problems with those couplers in the past so I'll probably just use some old reliable low voltage dry B (beanies) wire connectors. Those beanies have never failed me and I've been using them for 20 plus years.

https://www.amazon.com/Displacement-Connnector-26-16-Awg-Pk100/dp/B000JP7FIQ/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3G2HPOBJ45OZ5&keywords=beanie+connectors&qid=1644956111&sprefix=beaine+conn%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-11

1 hour ago, Savatreatabvr said:

My plan was to crimp on a rj45 connector on both splice ends and use a rj45 in-line coupler but I've had problems with those couplers in the past 

Well not a good Option anyway 

two rj45 plugs crimped with multiple crimps and a coupler all in one location ………. So now your introducing resistance in the cable …. Not good for any networking

just thought I would leave a link to the reliable jelly beans that are used in the network industry……. For two reasons … water and moisture and also stop air contact to cat cable ends which is a must or you will be doing it again in 6 months

or you could just twist the wires together and cover with chewing gum

in none of your posts you don’t like advice ….why do you ask

1 hour ago, tomcctv said:

Well not a good Option anyway 

two rj45 plugs crimped with multiple crimps and a coupler all in one location ………. So now your introducing resistance in the cable …. Not good for any networking

just thought I would leave a link to the reliable jelly beans that are used in the network industry……. For two reasons … water and moisture and also stop air contact to cat cable ends which is a must or you will be doing it again in 6 months

or you could just twist the wires together and cover with chewing gum

in none of your posts you don’t like advice ….why do you ask

Sometimes your advice comes off as criticism, I will take your advice on using a gel-filled water tight connector. I've seen jelly bean connectors many times but never used them, why are they so commonly used if they require a special crimp tool when a wet B (beanie) connector only requires a pair of pliers?

21 hours ago, Savatreatabvr said:

why are they so commonly used if they require a special crimp tool 

You only need pliers…. No special tools

22 hours ago, Savatreatabvr said:

Sometimes your advice comes off as criticism,

Only that you ask a question ….. but disagree with answer 

38 years this year in the industry in England .. USA and Spain 

it’s like your cat6 vs cat5 for cctv ….. no point cat6 your not going to be at any data speed with a single camera to justify it …… yes cat6 or 7 if building a large network … future upgrading…… but not a single iP point to point 

This 16ch system is going in my 40 unit apartment complex, I bought the most expensive system they had, the next level up was 32ch and I don't need that many and the system came with 16 individual rolls of cheap cat5e stranded cable, hard to pull, kinks easy so thats why I went with cat6 solid core.

58 minutes ago, Savatreatabvr said:

16 individual rolls of cheap cat5e stranded cable,

Hi stranded cable is only patch cable …. Not supposed to be used for more than a meter run ….. patch is not cat5

lorex have been sending that out with kits for years and has always been a problem 

would of thought dahua would have fixed that problem