LesB

Remote viewing of H.264 dvr system - How?

Hi. I have a four camera system using a generic h.264 dvr. It works reasonably well.

I currently view the cameras in my office using CMS over my internal network. It's useful as I can easily change the video motion detection etc and with the DVR in the office I hear it's internal buzzer alerts. I'd like to keep that functionality.

I have tried to set it up on my mobile so I can see the cameras when I am away off site.  It seems incredibly complicated, with things like enabling DHCP etc. I tried that and only managed to stop the CMS working in the office. I didn't manage to get it working on my phone at all.

Any input and suggestions invited. Is it possible to use the CMS application and also achieve viewing on the phone. Or are those objectives in conflict?

Many thanks.

Hi yes you should be able to use both …. For remote viewing on your smart devices requires you to use a app

its finding which app is for your recorder

can you post a picture of your dvr menu screen

Hi. Thanks for replying.

I've attached screenshots. Hopefully includes what you want. I have tried a couple of android apps i.e. TinyCam. I can get a single camera to display when in the office because it's on my home network but of course doesn't see it if I am away. 

I have Googled, youtubed, tried all I can etc but failed completely! I need help! :classic_unsure:

Menu.jpg

Menu_002.jpg

That web GUI looks like XMeye cameras.

System > 'Net service' has the menus for Cloud and DDNS.

However.... cloud stuff on these is P2P with XMeye's servers. Anything of P2P is not that secure.

DDNS is for port forwarding a device and having another DDNS service keep track of the IP address your router changes to. Otherwise you can pay your internet provider for a static IP address. But this is also not secure.

image.png.4e168f1af335c35c02c8de657fea8581.png image.png.6deefcd5bb5945b6d98cda9b7d08fc79.png

Hi guys. I really appreciate your input. However, I'm still pretty confused about how to actually set this up on my phone. I know it's a big ask but if you can help a bit further that would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Les

2 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi les

what platform is your phone on …. Apple or android 

Android.

2 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Ok … do you know how to get the qr code or network s/number from your recorder 

Don’t post them 

The system is about 5 years old and I don't think it has a QR code. There is a serial ID in the screen; info >version> . There is also some other info. I'll message it to you to see if it is any use.

Hoping I can get this resolved. I tried 'Enable DHCP' which I undestood to be important but all that did was stop my CMS application on my PC from seeing the dvr. If I were to say I am confused and mystified by it all I would not be lying! :classic_unsure:

43 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. Sorry it’s taken a while but I think I have found a way  

just to make shure…… do you own a white camper ?

? You spying?

Lol … only for a little bit 

ok right ….. I don’t want you to use the xmeye app as it goes to a China server…… so I will pm you a alternative UK app

you will be up and running in 10 mins

End note; I'm in a few forums for all sorts of things from vehicles, computing and even laser engraving. Sometimes I ask for help but if it's my area of knowledge I'm happy to help others. On this occasion this forum came to my rescue. More specifically, tomcctv has been patient and sorted me out. I'm now getting exactly what I needed.

It's good to explain something of the solution to help anyone finding this in a search. I'm now using an android app, Explorer, and it's working really well. Create an account and add the device by serial number. And I've still got access on my local network using CMS to facilitate full access to the dvr.

Thanks everyone, and especially to Tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May I ask which app you recomended? I am also trying to watch my cctv online for weeks now and have tried a bunch of apps already with no good result. I have the exact same cctv installation. 

Good day

We bought a H264 DVR on an auction.  We can do the live viewing without a problem but we cannot seem to get the right app for remote viewing on the cellphone.  The serial number is al 000000. We live in Namibia and the support regarding this is basic zero.  We urgently urgently please please please need your help.