Sign in to follow this  
Rox

Security Camera Advice Please

I am looking to replace my old Q-See system that is about 5-6 years old.  All but one of the cameras have broke.  I am looking for suggestions on what to replace it with.  Costco has an ArvetX system that has a 8TB system with 8 4K security cameras.  This camera set up also has SD cards as a back up in each camera.  I am also looking at a Reolink that has a 3TB system and 8 cameras.  Price is about half of the ArvetX.  Anyone have an experience (good or bad) with these two systems?  Any other systems I should consider?  I have heard to stay away from Lorex.

Hi. You have been using lorex the past 6 years…… under the name of q-see

ArvetX  Is not a very well known system ….. does not have enough app downloads for a review to be listed … one app has not been updated for years

Reolink Is a starter kit …. Cameras just make it past warranty 

there are many brands I would look at first

TVT I rate high ….. best remote app designed gives full control of recorder from anywhere….. app is that good you don’t need a monitor

lorex …. Now owned by dahua (your old q-see) has a lot of choices but you can look under dahua brand for more options 
take a look at dahua TIOC system some good functions and alerts for home use   

how are you cameras wired now … coax or cat5 cable ….. since your last install resolution is now available on both formats so could save yourself so money and time using your existing cables

Thanks for the reply.  QSee is now using coax but I am at max length for usage.  In fact one of my cameras was on the edge of being too far away.  Was not impressed with QSee once I got them.  I will check out your suggestions.

2 hours ago, tomcctv said:

lorex …. Now owned by dahua (your old q-see) has a lot of choices but you can look under dahua brand for more options 
take a look at dahua TIOC system some good functions and alerts for home use   

Lorex, Amcrest and a few other rebrands of Dahua will be of standard Dahua quality for their low-end line.

Dahua original cameras tend to have all their analytics/Artificial Intelligence functions.

Those sort of functions is commonly IVS rules. IVS is the camera trying to work out the difference between a human/vehicle and then triggers an event when they cross an imaginary line. Far better than standard motion detection which triggers on a bug attracted to the camera.

Example image is from Dahua with a tripwire IVS rule. Car crosses the line and it does something (notifications, records, sounds an alarm).

53 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

this could be a problem if you go cat5 option 

(iP system)

Dahua does have system that use Coax, however it is best to use Ethernet cable (Cat5, Cat6).

Can you use the coax cable to pull an ethernet cable through your roof space?

ivs.jpg

Thanks for the reply.  I am hoping to use the existing Coax to pull the ethernet.  If I use an Ethernet Cat 6 cable, many camera manufactures say that I can go up to 300' feet with no issues.  I think the farthest I need is about 100' so I should be OK.  I will check out Dahua today.

4 hours ago, Rox said:

Thanks for the reply.  I am hoping to use the existing Coax to pull the ethernet.  If I use an Ethernet Cat 6 cable, many camera manufactures say that I can go up to 300' feet with no issues.  I think the farthest I need is about 100' so I should be OK.  I will check out Dahua today.

Hi it seams pointless not using your existing coax 

but if your going the cat alternative then don’t waste money going cat6  ….. cat5e is all you need as your only doing point to point not building a network infrastructure 

23 hours ago, Mark_M said:

Lorex, Amcrest and a few other rebrands of Dahua will be of standard Dahua quality for their low-end line.

Lorex is not a rebrand dahua 

lorex is dahua and is probably one of the safest places to buy a dahua system and have full support

2 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Lorex is not a rebrand dahua 

lorex is dahua and is probably one of the safest places to buy a dahua system and have full support

Yes, same company and usually same products under another brand (Lorex) without the 'premium' features of Dahua analytics.

Dahua IMOU range is a separate production line (probably similar internal components).

Agree to the point about full support. 

Hi only difference is the naming of features 

Smart Motion Detection Plus     (lorex)

Wizsence  & wizmind (dahua)

both have same features we have lorex and dahua both on a wizmind server only difference is name on camera both are Ai