moose66

Lorex says I can only use there POE switch

I have a lorex NVR system. If I plug the cameras into the NVR directly all is good. But if I plug the cameras into the switch cameras do not show up on the monitor. If I go into camera registration on my system the cameras(4) all show up as showing they are live Status is good etc. but nothing on the monitor. So I know the switch is patching each individual camera through. Lorex tech support says that I have to use one of there switches otherwise they cant help. I thought I saw something on the internet somewhere about having to change the cameras IP address's but Im not sure and I cant find it again. I find it hard to believe that you can only use a lorex POE switch and make it work.. I am using a mokerlink POE-F042F poe switch with a Lorex N843A8 NVR. I hope someone can pleas help me with this issue. I really cant afford to spend $300 on a switch.

Hi. Tech support will only help with there own products…. Otherwise they would need to know every manual for switch or managed switches

but yes your right it an IP problem 

your nvr will assign an internal IP address to each camera…… going via a switch nvr can’t assign IP it will have to be manual

do you have a power supply for your camera

It was definately an address problem. I pinged my system and came up with addresses I wanted to use but lorex wouldnt help me put those in. I kept calling back and eventually got someone who remotely changed my ip addresses and evreything was good. The IP addresses that came up when they did it were the exact same ones I wanted to use. Why they wouldnt show me how to do it it I dont know. All is ok now

It was wrong for the person on tech support to lie to me though and say it wouldnt work without using there POE switch. Maybe they get a commision on a sale put threw that way but not good buisness.

15 hours ago, moose66 said:

It was wrong for the person on tech support to lie to me though and say it wouldnt work without using there POE switch. Maybe they get a commision on a sale put threw that way but not good buisness.

Your right it’s all about sales

Lorex (AKA) Dahua ….. if having to use there own POE switch…. Would start another problem dahua had a few years ago…… spyware……. It sounds like having to use there own Poe switch points to there always wanting to monitor there cameras for no other reason but there own

high profile security installs would not be able to use lorex if that was the case as it is good practice to use a managed Poe switch which has more security and management (basically locks out a 3rd party)