313-313

power on GV systems automatically after power loss

Hi,

I have this GV system that I need to power up after the electricity has come on. I have made this BIOS setting that will turn on the system. With this options if you physically unplug the power cord and plug it back in, the system will power up. But it will not work if the electricity goes off and comesback on. I have some stanalones that I dont have to physically turn on after the electricity is back on.

The BIOS "Full ON" setting will work fine if the power is lost for a period of 3 or more seconds (depending on your power supply discharge timing). Typically a brown out poer loss is just for a fraction of a second, so the power supply in the DVR does not have enough power loss time to discharge the capacitor inside, thus it will not restart automatically. The eliminate these potential losses during a brown out, add a small UPS to the unit and you wil be fine.

Scottj

If the power goes off it is the same as pulling the plug.

It should work, works for me .. our power goes off for hours all the time ..

And i personally dont even have a UPS .. got a voltage regulator though .. If it is brownouts you are experiencing make sure you are using Voltage Regulators or a UPS with built in AVR ..

i have ups at all my installs, but what about extended power loss for more than 15 to 45 min

Try disconnecting the UPS from the DVR (and leaving it that way).

If you buy an intelligent UPS with software you can set the level of shutdown and where it turns off if you do not use the coms cable and the software then it will by default run the UPS dry and then wehn power comes back on it needs to gain some power before turning itself on (charge) if you set the level to allow for power off in the ups to leave some juice, it can resume when regaining power

I realize that and the batteries will croak much sooner if deep cycled alot. The problem is the PC doesn't boot because it's last state was a shutdown command the UPS gave rather then an abrupt power loss like normal.

There are also some external solutions though.

You can use something like this

http://www.remotepowerswitch.com/reboot-atx.html

That to boot it and leave the smart UPS connected to shut it down and conserve it.

Or you can get into datacenter style stuff nobody wants to pay for.