Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on what type of lock to use in the following scenario.

Double fire escape doors in question need to be held electronically shut to stop teenagers with difficulties from escaping the building. At present they can just push the panic bar and walk out.

The doors only need to be released in an emergency situation i.e. fire alarm triggered. There is no need for any door access to these doors, just electronically fixed. I cant use physical mechanical locking as the teenagers will simply bypass it. Also, I cant have a Maglock on the head of the door as the door frame header is very low and would cause injury. I've been told that a shear lock is not to be used on an emergency escape door as they have difficulties releasing if there is a side loading on them i.e. some one pushing the door before its released.

The doors are as follows.

Double, rebated, wooden, outward opening emergency exit doors with existing panic bar on one door (first to open) and panic bolt on the other (2nd to open)

My feeling is that there will be some kind of electronic panic bar that will release upon an alarm activation....but I'm struggling to find one

Thanks in advance

304404471_doubledoor1.jpg.57e70e507b9cd55a892b1ccace58baea.jpg142129751_doubledoor2.jpg.cc4a140677b0c71ab8cf9fa89e1456b6.jpg

Hi looking at the signs in place it looks like your uk based. 
so this makes a very difficult project

we have come across this many times in hotels and schools and under UK building regulations the fire door must be operational while the business is open …. Can’t be locked or use a 3rd party application for it to open. 
also it is notifiable what ever you do with the fire door to your local fire officer ( local fire station) free service  and advice

also electronic locks fitted to fire doors can only be done by your existing fire alarm company …. As lock is connected to fire alarm N/C contactor … 3rd party doing this will end any contract with fire alarm company

how ever there are devices that give you a audible warning on fire doors being opened which is your cheapest and safest option and keeping to the law

look up bush bar alarm units….. you only need to replace the main bar on one door ….. when pushed it gives you a 80db local alarm to the door.  These cost about £180

but your best option is to ask for a visit from your local fire officer. This way you keep to the law …… a magnetic lock always keeps fire door locked and needs a 3rd party to open 

Hi Tom

Thank you for adding to this. That's a good call with the fire officer I hadn't thought of involving them. That takes all responsibility away from myself. 

Thank you tom I think you have answered all my questions in 2 words.......'Fire officer'