sirgrindsalot

Hydraulic/telescoping/lowering poles

Hello,

I have an application where a camera needs to be mounted to a pole (approx 16-20'). It would be very nice if I could lower the camera down somehow for service rather than ladder up to it.

I searched a bit but found nothing.

Anyone know anyone who makes a pole that would do this?? It could telescope, swivel down, whatever, but has to be a quality product.

Thanks.

Those drill powered poles are nice, but pricey. On one job I was considering it, but due to cost considerations, opted to use my own galvanized 2" pipe with a shop fabricated swing joint at the bottom to raise & lower. It works like the mast on a catamaran sailboat.

It realy depends how you are mounting it, I tend to use a roof based parapet mount, this mounts ont eh roof of a buildng and has a built in swing arm that allows me to bring it in over the roof for servicing

This is where having a shop with some welding/fabricating capabilty comes in handy.

yeah, or do it yourself. you can do alot with a bandsaw, stickwelder, and drill press. One of our related companies has a machine shop / truck repair shop, so we make it ourself.

They are a lot of money however they way they work and the features they have make up for this (a little anyway).

They come pre wired. When the camera is raised to it's highest level it automatically plugs in.

When it's lowered you simply unplug the cable from the pole and plug it into the camera for testing.

Rasing and lowering is done using a portable drill.

Pretty slick. Expensive but slick.

When the camera is raised to it's highest level it automatically plugs in.

So if the camera is lowered slightly, it disconnects straight away?

If thats the case, someone could force open the padlock (assuming it is locked...) and stick a drill in, and the camera would not be able to see whats going on, as it would have no power. They could then walk away with a expensive camera system.

Or is the locking system secure enough to withstand brute force attack?

When the camera is raised to it's highest level it automatically plugs in.

So if the camera is lowered slightly, it disconnects straight away?

If thats the case, someone could force open the padlock (assuming it is locked...) and stick a drill in, and the camera would not be able to see whats going on, as it would have no power. They could then walk away with a expensive camera system.

Or is the locking system secure enough to withstand brute force attack?

They'd get tiefed around here real quick ...

man the way you guys were talking I thought those poles were going to be over 3,000 dollars. They are not that expensive. Just add them into your proposals. All that work of building them yourselves would be way to much work. I think they would be well worth it. I am going to start using them.

That's fine if you have a client that doesn't need to ask the price, but just signs the proposal on the dotted line. Unfortunately they are few & far between. At any rate I can still build my own pole if I need to for less, make extra margin, and still have a cheaper overall proposal.

At one job they needed cameras at the far end of the parking lot as cars were being vandalized. The end of the lot was 200' away from the building, with a driveway at the far end. There was an existing lightpole there that I could mount cameras on. Now how to run the coax from the building to the lightpole without trenching the asphalt parking lot? After standing in the lot for awhile, I happened to notice storm sewers that ran the length of the parking lot. Aha! I ran the coax from the storm drain nearest the light pole to the storm drain next to the building, just needed a snake and picked up the wire from each drain which was spaced about 50' apart. I just need to dig a few feet from the back of the storm drain to the bottom of the light pole to conceal my wire (underground rated coax).

Now I could have quoted trenching the lot, and patching with asphalt, but I knew that would be outside the clients budget. Stringing an aerial wire was undesirable too.

i am not saying that they have to be one of the guys who have no budget.

But most people will actual pay for things if you can show them the value of the system. And most people will stay pretty price conscious if they just think that it is an average system.

The PV 16 (the cheap one) is almost 3,000.00. Cost.

Add mark-up, concrete & labor you're talkin quite a bit more.

Cost is almost double that on the PV18.

Nice but VERY expensive. (especially when compared to an aluminum tube).

ok so how do you get the cables to the monitors or dvrs?Do you run it underground or is this for wireless cams only?

ok so how do you get the cables to the monitors or dvrs?Do you run it underground or is this for wireless cams

yes