bobthebob

Were my IP Cameras Hacked?

Hello:

I wonder if I could run this through someone else.   I dont think my family believes me lol. 

The mic was turned on, activated or hot (somehow) at the same time the mic switch on the website was toggled off.  I have the camera pointing out the window so video privacy was not really an issue.  The issue was it appears someone or something was turning at least the mic on the camera on . I assume the video too. I started getting an echo through my home speakers that are hooked up to my pc.   In the companies website or client I have the mic turned off all the time. I asked the co and they said they had never been hacked. 

As far as I can tell the input from the camera mic went to my router and traveled around the internet server to server then back to my router then to my computer that was logged on to their website (where you view cameras) and that sound signal went out of my PC to a nice dac and was plugged into a vintage stereo receiver with rca jacks where it was amplified and fed to my vintage speakers.  All with the camera mic toggled off. 

I think echo is kinda from the millisecond delays of the mic signal moving through the internet.  The camera mic (its in the other room btw) is also picking up the delayed signal broadcasted from the speakers as well and feeding back through itself until the sound is gone and that's the way it sounds.  if you turn it all up loud enough you can get actual feedback. like jimi hendrix lol.  

I used a very easy password to begin with. I think it was "bigeyes" or something like that.  and  I'm still not sure how they store the passwords and if I have one for the website client as well. 
it's either that or the camera mics come on by themselves...    Either way it's a little creepy to think someone is listening to you and for how long?   what do you deduce or conclude if the mic signal is bouncing around the internet when it is turned off in the website/app?  

fyi the only way to stop it was to go into the website and toggle the mic on then off again.  then it would all stop until i notice it echoing in the speakers at a later date.   I have since changed the password for the camera to a strong password.   Also, right now I can reproduce the echo sound through my speakers if I toggle the camera mic to on.   The same sound is coming out of my speakers with the mic on right now.  if i toggle it off it all stops. 

If I had not had my computer's sound run through my stereo receiver, I would have never known it was happening. No telling how many verbal passwords I have said outloud like to the alarm co att etc.  It could have gone on for years. I recorded the echo sounds if anyone has an idea and i can upload them, thanks!

they work great other than what I'm talking about.   they were about 60 a piece.  is that cheap.  the camera can be adjusted from the app.   they are stuck behind the window until i can afford a few outdoor cameras and an nvr.    at night its almost like daylighht if the moon is out.  

do you think I was hacked?    even stranger, I thought it was on only when I could hear the echo.   the other day when it was not doing it, I turned up all the vol on the comp and stereo where the slightest sound would blow the speaker.  and in the background very faint, I could hear my voice echo.  its like the mic rec level was turned low.  is all this possible or likely?   I let it go for a few months to experiment on it.  I live by myself and the video was pointing outside.    I changed the password and so far it has  stopped.  

reolink e1 pro 4 mp,  it uses a propriatory app/website made for the cameras.   I dont know what blue iris is.   I have heard of it.   I like these cameras, but once I get the outdoor cameras , I dont think I'll use these.   although they work very well.   its the privacy thing I dont trust them.  here are a couple of shots of the neighborhood kitty.  this is through a window pane and not cleaned.   ir lights off etc.   the darker one was taken at dusk. but with a full moon it pretty much looks like that.   my goal is to have 4 poe cameras and an nvr.  I had att cameras.  they really didnt work well. (digital life). So the holes have already been drilled for a couple. 

I left their att IP cameras up. the ir lights still light up  they are still plugged in but were wireless and home alarm was 3G.   they look like they are still working as a deterent.  I had them for about 7 years.  ATT decided not to upgrade to lte or 5g cell dialers in the alarm, so you are left with an internet system only.  my new alarm carrier I opted for no cameras because I think I can do better.

I had someone disco my internet at the communication box a few streets over about 5 years ago.   the tech said there were 2 wires for each house and the one that goes to my house someone had unscrewed one wire and pulled it back.  if they were to do this again, with ip cameras = no cameras.  why would someone disconect me there?   It made me realize ip cameras have several limitations vs hard drive recording.   I want one that can use the internet but not be dependent on it.  

I'm thinking about trying t-mobils internet set up just so the internet cant be disconected with that one since its a wireless connection.  you can see I'm kinda new at this.  I have to hire someone to physically mount the cameras because of arthritis.   I cant get on a ladder.  

1 - Copy(1).jpg

2 - Copy(1).jpg

1 hour ago, bobthebob said:

if they were to do this again, with ip cameras = no cameras.  why would someone disconect me there?   It made me realize ip cameras have several limitations vs hard drive recording

Hi this is not the case infact it would do nothing to iP cameras 

this is the problem with security cameras …. These days there are two types … and diyers get it so wrong 

there are cctv cameras -analog / HD analog/ and IP

these are true cctv with no 3rd party involvement at all 

then there are the cheap smart cameras …. And should never get mixed up with cctv

smart cameras need registration to a server for them to work and some also need a monthly fee for cloud storage and also a fee to collect footage  …… lots of money to buy smart cameras and run yet no control over the equipment you have paid for 

CCTV … or IP system like the quote at top of this post 

iP systems don’t have any connection to network away from your home ….. you can set a system up in the middle of nowhere with no internet of phone or wireless and they work

smart cameras like your reolink need to run on a China server ….. infact 2020 reolink we’re caught storing data from smart cameras ….. and also your original problem audio is also stored by 3rd party 

thanks for bearing with me on this:

I need to research them more.  are you talking about poe cameras being directly plugged into the nvr not being affected by loss of internet?   vs wireless cameras that 1st go through the main ATT router?    what would be an example of a system that you speak of maybe mid ranged price.  say for 4 cameras and nvr at aprox 1000 to 1500 dollars self installed.

Are the ip cameras you speak of connected to a separate router then plugged into the nvr?  bypassing the main router?  kind of a separate LAN?  then the nvr hooked to the internet and monitor.  

I seem kinda lost.   I'm not arguing with you.   my dad lives out in the real remote country and I've been trying to get him to put up cameras but the internet connection is so slow. 

since ip is internet protocal I assumed it well went through the internet.   maybe they need a new word for them.  do they sell the cctv/ip  systems on amazon?   rather than the "smart cameras"  I like the idea of a system independent of the internet.  

I dont think you are saying reolink did this on purpose with the mic, but stored it since it was on?

12 hours ago, bobthebob said:

thanks for bearing with me on this:

I need to research them more.  are you talking about poe cameras being directly plugged into the nvr not being affected by loss of internet? 

Hi … even Poe has nothing to do with the internet…… Power Over Ethernet is just a way of getting power to something with Ethernet connection

also internet and network are different 

local network = iP camera setup does not need 3rd party to work …. Can be setup anywhere and it works

internet cameras=  need the internet to work via a 3 party server without internet useless…. Can’t store footage for a long time unless paying silly money to store on someone else’s server

the only time a iP system uses the internet and this also applies to standard coax analog is when you want to view it remotely via a app