Sign in to follow this  
johnsloan

Swann DVR System differences from model to model

Hi all, I've Just joined this forum with a rather strange problem that I wondered if anyone else has come across? . I have recently purchased a Swann DVR4-4680RN. After a software update over the ethernet on the first day of owning the system, it lost the h.265 codec from the dropdown menu. Now I only have the older H.264 and as a result can only record half as much on the hard drive. 

I have a friend who lives across the road from me he owns a virtual identical model. His is the DVR-4680. After swapping unit to test the model differences we have noticed the following. My model will allow the screen settings to be 1080 2k and 4k his will not? His will allow him to use both the h.264 and h.265 codecs mine will not? I can set my cameras to 30fps he can only go to 15fps (This limitation is the same when I use his box on my cameras.) I have recently purchased a couple of 3mp swann dome cameras that according to the swann website will work on the DVR4-4680 models but these 3mp swann cameras will only work at 1080 on both mdels but the camera works fine on a much older swann system I own that displays fine in full resolution, 

What we are finding is there is no spec breakdown list from model to model and it seems a gamble as to what exactly more or less identical boxes are able to do. These differences between models are not small things, My box for example now only using the h.264 codec is only capable of storing 5 days of footage. 5 days is useless if you are away on holiday for a week! 

Is anyone else out there aware of these issues and is there any way to hold swann accountable for there lack of information regarding the specs of each model out there. The instruction book is generic to all the models, and it seems you really have no way of knowing just what you will end up with in your dvr box.

Any ideas out there or anyone noticed similar issues? Thanks, john

Hi unfortunately holding Swann accountable is going to be difficult 

swann don’t make CCTV but they do licence there brand name for others to use 

hikvision

xmeye

seeyou

Qmeye

you also have different video formats TVI CVI AHD some do all some only use one format 

there apps are also poor compared to what is available now

swann will ask were your firmware came from and use that to get away from any responsibility 

you might be better just swapping out the recorder for something better and support 

Hi thanks for the reply.

The firmware update came from using their own auto update option built into the box.  The update is 100% off their back

I understand there's different camera formats but when swann list one of their own cameras as compatible and then it's not, I think that's very poor. The camera is working but not in full resolution as the box it limited to only 1080p cameras but swann state they support 3mp on this model.

They also need to address just what it is you are buying from them. Things like, Will the box let the display screen work in 2k and 4k or will it only allow 1080. Will you be able to use your cameras at 30fps or will you be limited to 15?  Will your box have the more modern codec or will you need a lot more hard drive space than advertised because the box is limited to h.264. 

I believe people are intitled to know just what it is they are buying from them.  Two visually identical models with the same spec on their sale sight give no indication as to what their products will actually do, it's just a lottery.  The difference between the dvr-4680 and the drv-4680rn are considerable but they are not listed anywhere on the spec sheets. Even swann representees on their phone line don't seem to know what the differences are as they are not shown anywhere. 

Hi you need to check which software your dvr is running now

Firmware Version: V8.1.0-20211109

is the last one for that model

were are you based … as this can effect the software type

Hi yes Yea that's the version I have.

I'm currently waiting for a 'level 3' swann technician to get back to me. I've made many calls to swann now but have not got anywhere with them. They promised about a week ago I would be called by someone with better technical knowledge but as of now they have not got back to me.   

Swann have confirmed my box it up to date but admit they do not understand why the codec has gone missing from the dropdown menu after the update. They also said it is impossible to roll back the update and reinstate the box as I received it.

I did wonder if there had been any third-party firmware for these that might unlock features in the DVR

Thank again, John

2 hours ago, johnsloan said:

I did wonder if there had been any third-party firmware for these that might unlock features in the DVR

Hi I got a reply for you from Swann 

the dvr-4680 -46804or 46808

will not take or do 4K it’s is only 2mp ahd system and is also not produced anymore as you can see from last update November 2021

you need 5 series for 4K 

we’re are you based ?

12 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi I got a reply for you from Swann 

the dvr-4680 -46804or 46808

will not take or do 4K it’s is only 2mp ahd system and is also not produced anymore as you can see from last update November 2021

you need 5 series for 4K 

we’re are you based ?

I'm in the UK And thanks for responding again but I feel you completely misunderstand what I'm saying. I know it will not do 4k cameras and I actually never asked or questioned that? The dvr4-4680 model is however listed as working with the 3mp swann cameras  (Swann Pro 3MPMSD) on swanns own online compatibility chart. For some reason my box will not let me set the resolution of the 3mp camera above 1080p even though it is advertised as been able to do so?

I think there is some miss understanding you with regards to what I was saying about been able to set your monitor to 4k for this system. I know this is possible because I've already done it on my box and my display is currently set to 2k as I have an old 2k gaming monitor I'm currently using with the dvr. In fact when my DVR box is plugged into a 4k telly, the box on start-up askes if I would like to set the display to 4k. I was making no comment on about 4k cameras on my system. What else I did say in regards to the display resolution is that my friends almost identical box will NOT let him set his display over 1080p. The problem I have is swann do not give specs or mark the differences between models. Like I say I have the DVR4-4680RN And he has the DVR4-4680. Nowhere at all do swann list the differences between these models and that's a big problem as you don't actually know what you are getting in the box with regard to specs. 

And the last and most import point I made was after making the legitimate swann update on the very first day of owning this DVR (made over the ethernet on auto update) my box lost the ability to use the h.265 codec,

Thanks

2 hours ago, johnsloan said:

The dvr4-4680 model is however listed as working with the 3mp swann cameras

Sorry that is not the case at all 4680 does not have heat detection and only 2mp 

someone is confused…. The pro 3mpmsd is a heat detection 3mp camera and will ONLY work 4780 DVRs and above

4K ……. Please read posts slow ….. I said will not take OR RUN 4K 

run being the dvr output which is what you mentioned in your first post. There are two types of 4K but what you find in cheap cctv units is rendered 4K (1080p stretched) not a true 4K 

software the 4680 and the 4680rn have different softwares as there not the same unit ……. Which is what I said in first post about formats ….. cameras are not compatible 

I come across this all the time with domestic Swann systems …. So many makes rebadged and compatible being the main problem

with the cameras you have purchased 3mp heat detection 

there is no software that can change your DVRs hardware ….. your hardware is 2mp standard with nothing in your dvr for heat 

Swann is a diy kit …. Made easy for the diyer to install ……. Which is a bit of a useless comment from Swann as most systems diy or pro are installed the same

you also need to remember the 4680 range has been out 5 years so not exactly new

move from Swann on your next upgrade and you will see a big difference

I do appreciate you trying to help mate but I'm sure there's crossed wires here or somthing??

Sorry that is not the case at all 4680 does not have heat detection and only 2mp 

You say that's not the case and you may well be correct about the heat detection but my mates 4680 runs the 3mp perfect at the correct resolution. I can take photos and show you the evidence. And besides like I've said swanns own camera compatibility chart from 8/February/2021 says it runs the camera!

4K ……. Please read posts slow ….. I said will not take OR RUN 4K......

I can only say to that read my post slowly. I'm not trying to get 4k cameras to work with my box.  I've never ever asked about running cameras in 4k on my box. (not once, not ever!!) What I have said is my box WILL (and does) allow me to run my screen resolution at 4k! and my mates won't 

software the 4680 and the 4680rn have different software's as there not the same unit.

Yes exactly, I can see that by reading the hardware and software versions in the Information menu of the box. My point here is swann sell these without telling you what the variations are. They are just sold as 1080p 4 channel enforcer kits and no mention that the visual identical boxes are of different specs. So, I come back to my point, Swann need to let people know what their box will or will not do. They don't because I've just today had two new enforcer kits side by side (same cameras in box) and there is no mention of the differences. Do you think I been picky or something because my enforcer kit is not capable of h.265 and my mates is??? That's a big difference and swann should dam well let us know.. And the most annoying thing of all is this is my box of mine had h.265 before I did the swann update from the auto update menu.. I have ripped the internet apart the last few days looking for a full spec for my DVR4-2680RN box and I cannot find one, every time it just comes back with the specs for the DVR4-4680. Even then it's not a full breakdown of features either.  

Am I going mad here? I know my spelling and grammar is a little off to say the least but surly you get why I'm bloody annoyed with swann. And its no-good saying next time buy a better system. It's like taking your new car back to the garage because its 1600 (advertised) engine only turns out to be a 1000L engine, and then the salesmen is saying 'you should have got a better car mate.' I think you would want to punch him on his nose and demand your money back. 

45 minutes ago, johnsloan said:

And its no-good saying next time buy a better system. It's like taking your new car back to the garage because its 1600 (advertised) engine only turns out to be a 1000L engine, and then the salesmen is saying 'you should have got a better car

Your right it’s not the same ….. it’s more like going to buy a new car and coming back with a motorbike 

your mates 4680 is also ONLY 2mp but as said in earlier post you need to look at camera format ….. your ahd …. His tvi ….. tvi can and does downgrade cameras for a recorder

there is only one other option you have and that’s installing software again but ONLY via usb drive (which is recommended by Swann to do)

if you need it I’ll post it

Hi yea I have already tired downloading firmware again (from swann) and using the usb method, but the box will allow the update as it says it is already up to date with the latest driver. Unfortunately swann have confirmed the only firmware my box will now take is the one that is already installed, and they will not provide me with a rollback as even if they had one the box would refuse to take it.

My box is capable of h.265 because it was in and running before the update. Also maybe restoring the box to factory would be good but swann also say this is now impossible but I'm not sure I believe that? I know on some older cctv boxes you could remove the battery and short the pins like on a cmos chip in a pc bios but maybe thats old hat now.

Also I have just looked on both the boxes. Both have heat detection capabilities. Mine actually came with two 1080p heat detecting domes in the kit

His box Swann DVR 4 4680 1080p 4 Channel Full HD Digital Video Recorder PIR CC only �139.99 (bigpockets.co.uk) his came with four enforcer cameras 

My box Swann Enforcer DVR 4680 4 Channel 2x1080SL 2x1080MSD 1080p HD Camera C only �144.99 (bigpockets.co.uk)

There is absolutely nothing in the product description regarding the two DVR'S differences. The differences we have found so far are,,,, 1.screen resolutions his is 1080 mine up to 4k (not the cameras just screen res) 2. codecs his h.264 and h.265 mine as we know just h.264 now. 3. My enforcers can use 30fps on my box but plug them in to his box and they only work at 15 fps, put his enforcers on my box and they work in 30fps (they are identical enforcer cameras we each have.) 4. His box works perfectly with my 3mp dome cameras but mine limits them to a stretched 1080p

I'm sure there are many more odd differences to, but these are not mentioned in the product descriptions at all.

43 minutes ago, johnsloan said:

Hi yea I have already tired downloading firmware again (from swann) and using the usb method, but the box will allow the update as it says it is already up to date with the latest driver. 

Swann should also of told you that you also can download the files you need … and not do a full software again

ahd and tvi ……. Then take your new 3mp cameras to your friends dvr plug it in and select tvi

then go into ptz control and click menu … this will pull up the cameras own menu …. You use the up and down ptz control to move down the menu options …… resolution change this from 3mp to 2mp then click save then reinstall onto your system 

if your dvr has heat … what settings are there for the thermal settings?

we’re did you buy your system from ?

Ok. Now you have linked both yours and friend’s products…… I also know Hassan who you bought off

first what you have to understand is you have purchased … returned/ refurbished or end of line stock

you talk about 2k and 4K output …. You need to forget about this as neither of your links supported that

but what has always been the same is you both only have a 2mp system and nothing can change that they will not run 3mp at all

so we’re has the dvr 4680 RN  come from since that is not one of your links

what is stamped on the bottom of each recorder

This is my box. I promise everything I am saying to you is true of my system. You can see on the picture I can set my screen display to 4k. plz do not tell me I cannot. At the moment it is set to 2k because I'm using my old gaming monitor for my dvr output monitor. 

In the first picture you can clearly see that my box is the 4680nr

I can also send picture of my mates dvr working my 3mp camera perfectly. I am not lying about any of this?

20221001_204724.jpg

20221001_204748.jpg

Also just for the record I have no problem with bigpockets or Hassan. I have been on the phone to them and they have been great and said just send the box back. Thing is it's bugging me now and I would rather get to the bottom of it with swann over the inconstancy's in the products as well as find out why swanns auto update disabled my codec file

22 minutes ago, johnsloan said:

Swann Enforcer DVR 4680 4 Channel 2x1080SL 2x1080MSD 1080p HD Camera CCTV Kit 840236132201 | eBay

thats my order on bigpockets. it is one of the links and it is the DVR4-4680NR

listen this is 3 seperate units you have posted

if your saying this link is your system then it’s not a rn and should not of loaded that firmware on it ….. it states clear in the advert it’s a sl 4680 and that uses a completely different software

what does it say on the plate on bottom of your unit also last 6 numbers of serial number

why are you fighting with me. I have no reason to lie to you? the ebay listing is my bloody box i got off bigpockets. the exact same F'in one 

You are seriously pissing me off by saying I am lying to you. look at the bloody screen shots from my system

my ebay link is the same SWDVK-446802SL2D check it out same as the big pockets kit. number SWDVK-446802SL2D... never the less my bloody box is exactly what i have been telling you it is. If you know the lads at big pockets ask them about the lad hows been speaking to them about my box that lost its codec. 

You are no help to anyone in life if all you think everyone is lying to you man. I will even send you a picture of the fucking box

20221001_222338.jpg

20221001_222724.jpg

13 minutes ago, johnsloan said:

You are seriously pissing me off by saying I am lying to you. look at the bloody screen shots from my system

Listen I have never called you a lier at all …… let me tell you of my background and you can go back in the forum logs I have worked for Swann there is no Swann system I don’t know about I even have yours here

i have been asking you basic questions to help you resolve your problem and again never called you a lier on anything 

but I will stand by my facts ….. 2mp system …. That can’t be changed ….. even all your links from Swann tells you max 2mp

now your eBay link shows a sl system and not a rn ……. Different software 

yes I have looked at your pictures ….. but there taken after the fact of you upgrading firmware (it only says what software it’s on now not before)

and even swann Have confirmed I have the correct firmware for my box but you seem to know better???? I told you it was an auto update? is there something wrong with you???