JBASport

Security Lights and PIR's

I am planning to upgrade my security system. I plan to upgrade the security lights first. The property is large and I intend to locate the security lights under the eaves of the property, which is about 20ft off the ground , so wondered whether an integrated security light and PIR would be able to trigger successfully being so high off the ground, as I wanted it to detect movement a reasonable distant from the house. Are there PIR's that have a longer reach than the ones I have seen, which appear to be about 11m or 12m? If not, maybe the PIR could be located separately and link to the security light wirelessly? If anybody could possibly advise me on my options and brands that might be suitable.

Many thanks.

Hi   Installing security lights / switches or sensors ….. the only option I use now is  called Quinetic  

I have been using this for around 5 years and cuts the cost of cabling and time

quinetic is a range of wireless switches that also does not use batteries or any internet connection…. And a lifetime of 40 years 

In your case  you can have upto 10 pir sensors 90m away from light with no cables

control multiple lights with one receiver 

also the easiest way to convert two way switching just by replacing one light switch

https://www.quinetic.co.uk/

Thanks. I am trying to get my head around what that might look like in practice. I wanted maybe 1 to 3 LED Floodlights and 3 or 4 PIR detectors. How would that look in practice. and would I need Quinetic LED lights and PIR's for it to work? Thanks for your help and patience. Terry

Hi you can buy quinetic led lights but it’s better to use your existing or new standard led 

say 3 led security lights you would only need 1 receiver if you want all 3 to come on at the same time ….. you can also add a light switch and also pir sensors around your property…. Back front /side upto 100m away and they will switch your 3 lights on. 

what could take a few days to install with cables and wired sensors and the cost of cable you could install all within a hour for around £60 also the remote control for key rings is ideal for in your car when approaching your property and that’s only £10

take a look at these videos

Many thanks for that. I think I get the concept. So would that mean that I would need to link the controller (supplied by 240v) to the LED Light, then I would need Quintetic PIRs and switch to link up? As that correct? Many thanks, Terry

Hi Terry

yes your right ….. power lead goes to controller and then lead out to lights

Terry once you start using and understanding the equipment you will be changing all sorts in your home ….. it’s a bit hard to get people to understand how it works 

March of this year I was asked to quote alongside another company to install 2 flood lights 3 pir sensors for over two doors and patio and two switches 

1 quote was £580 and day and half 

mine £230 and all done in 1 hour

even the simplest thing like two way light switching ……. Say bed room (saves getting out of bed to switch lights off) is only a 5 min job

these are the guys that make the equipment 

just scroll down to quinetic switches for full range and technical info

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/?ad_position=&source=adwords-tlc&ad_id=388450449108&placement=&kw=tlc direct&network=g&matchtype=p&ad_type=&test=finalurl&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvb7Rx_vW-wIVSAmLCh3OZwMQEAAYASAAEgJRoPD_BwE

Thanks for that. Yes, as you say, once I get my head around it, it should change the way I link things in future! I suppose you could link smoke detectors etc., as well?

How does the signal perform between fittings. Does it deal with walls, foil backed plasterboard & metre thick walls which is what I have to navigate?

Really help your input on this. Many thanks, Terry