rapid

Tricks of the Trade - For the Video Installer - Part 2 of 5

wire cutters tied/taped to the end of the wire... then just chuck it in the direction you want .. at least that worked with telco wire

Rory,

Should you not also mention to yell "INCOMING" to your helper who has their head poked up through a tile some distance away giving you a target ??? haha

If i had a helper he would be up there running the wire and Id be chilling

we pull a lot of cat 5 and phone wire and and two pieces of equipment get used on almost every job. a length of plastic conduit to use as a push pull rod cheap flexible and you don't much care if it gets damaged or lost.

I also always carry a length of chain and some nylon 200# line. If I have to fish a wall I tie on to it with the nylon and drop the chain in the wall I can tell if I have a fire stop and I can work the chain up and down to get down the wall. When I am sure I am to the bottem I just cut in my opening and hook the line. A lot better than wrestling with a fish tape.

i use a ball and chain the ones with the beads not the links. Drop that from the top of the head board the wall then cut a hole in the wall and use a magnetic flexible piece that you just wiggle in the wall and it finds the chain. pretty easy.

You guys get alot of Drywall over there .. mostly brick down here .. internal walls also.

You guys get alot of Drywall over there .. mostly brick down here .. internal walls also.

Thats blows...

I just recently did a school with a tornado room, 18" reinforced concrete.

Did an office job this week with metal studs and no insulation (interior walls).

LSD85124.jpg

This is the Wet Noodle and retriever from Labor Saving Devices....the chain is 10 feet long and works great with a bendable magnetic retriever.

Had it in my install kit for awhile but never used it as most of the jobs have insulation or other material you have to fish through.

This method helps out on certain installs where you have the realestate above the ceiling tile, but I agree with you both for crowded areas.

As an alternative, I use the following Creep-Zit from Labour Saving Devices.

Each fluorescent 6 foot fiberglass piece has screw-on couplers, so you add the links as far as you want. The egg beater looking piece helps keep the rods from getting stuck on the ceiling tile supports. The fluorescent color makes it easier to see and retrieve in crowded spaces.

LSD81130%20LG.jpg

Where did you get that from and how much? I need a set like that...

Checkout Labor Saving Devices....you can find them at security distributers like ADI, Burtek, and TRI-ED to name a few.

They cost about $100 Cdn for a set.