antdickens

How can Geo compete?

One thing that really annoys me about Geovision is the quality of the live view. If you put a Geovision system next to a even the cheapest DVR the live view from the dvr looks better every time. I know this is because the dvr is displaying a non digitised image. And the playback won't be of the same quality.

If you use a card with the dsp out such as the combo cards or add a GV-DSP card the output to a cctv monitor looks ten times better.

Why can't they get the quality onto the PC screen?????:

One thing that really annoys me about Geovision is the quality of the live view. If you put a Geovision system next to a even the cheapest DVR the live view from the dvr looks better every time. I know this is because the dvr is displaying a non digitised image. And the playback won't be of the same quality.

If you use a card with the dsp out such as the combo cards or add a GV-DSP card the output to a cctv monitor looks ten times better.

Why can't they get the quality onto the PC screen?????:

The hardware and software you use can effect the on screen local video, obviously as does the configuration settings.

Geovision is pretty crippled in the configuration of the captured video, I haven't found a way to fully configure compression. ie I want 9000 mb/sec CRB 640x480 MPEGII. Instead you can select the resolution, transcoding codec and you have a slider that adjusts the transcoding compression level.

I think it even stranger that they provide a seperate app to allow a second machine to webserve rather then transcoding. You wouldn't need twinserver if the first box wasn't tring to do real time transcoding to H.264. The twinserver could be configured all about data storage and software compression (the CPU hog).

My cheapest DVR doesn't have better local performance, it is much worse before tweaking. Basically it doesn't deinterlace at all, you have to use something else to deinterlace the video.

(DSP Out) The better the screen the worse SD video will look on it, if you run the DSP out to a HD display it will look worse then it does on the PC in the first place. Those DSL outs are limited to about 800x600@60hz composite cabling just can't move much more then that. You might try setting your display resolution a little lower

Ant .. if you're using an LCD .. no it wont be as clear ..

Also, what codec are you using?

If its H264 or ASP (on Geo), then it wont be as clear either.

But yeah the DSP output makes the live view much better, and also the evidence sharing blows away Non PC DVRs .. main reason i switched ..

Basically its not just Geo .. same with others.