k1lla

SPEED DOME WORKS BETTER AT 900 FEET CAT 5

Today I finally got my PTZ dome installed at 900 Feet cat 5 with a passive balun at each end and the picture is pretty damn good! I have a bullet cam at the same 900 ft distance and it works like crap with the passive baluns and each end. I even swithced out the bullet and tried a box and still shizzit. I have ordered an active receiver for the bullet, and I really thought I would need an active rx at the DVR with this new PTZ. Is this difference in quality at the 900ft cat 5 due simply to the fact that the PTZ dome is a better camera. Are different cameras affected by long cable runs then others?

Also can some1 please recommend a decent inexpensive PTZ controller.

yes PTZ camera's are usually a better quality "package" and they do provide a better pic. active will help.

I was thinking the same thing. I've not seen a bullet camera with image quality comparable to a speed dome.

Have you tried taking the bullet cam down and hooking it up at the system (i.e with only a few feet of cable)? I wonder if you would still experience the same signal degradation with the bullet camera? My guess is that might be the case...

If the image quality of the bullet improves when moved closer to the system I would look at your power source and the length of cable between it and the bullet.

I am glad you reported in on the distance. Are you running power over that Cat5 or is that supplied locally at the speed dome? How about the bullet...is that power traveling all 900 ft as well?

Before these posts I was running the power over the 900ft cat 5, but I immediately changed that when I had the image issues. Originally I did test this varifocal bullet at the DVR and it seemed fine. Now that I have added a Nitek receiver at the DVR and still have image issues only at night with adaquete lighting I am thinking that my problem is adjustments made to the varifocal lens at the time of installation...

The speed dome is now carrying the power over 900ft cat 5 - 24 V. I would like to change this in the future as I will need that extra pair for an additional camera.