Robo

AVTECH KPD674BZ-C still running even when used as toilet by mice

Some 8-10 years ago, we installed a surveillance system with two cameras in my son's big blacksmith workshop shed in the forests. As dedicated recorder we use the AVTECH KPD674BZ-C. The DVR was installed in the "attic", actually a wooden platform on the steel beams supporting the corrugated metal roofing. Nothing around it to protect it, and that shed (13x30 meter, 8 m high) is not 100% water-wind tight, and hardly heated or isolated. Outside temps vary from -10 Celsius to +30. 

In the first few years we did some checking of recordings but after that, I forgot about it. It was not much needed because most of the old metal was inside a fenced part of the grounds, and you would not want to mess with the dog running free there. I sometimes noticed that the one camera still was emitting infrared, but never thought it still also would be recording.

Anyway, last week people stole some metal; a lot is now outside the fence and the dog has died. My son asked me to check the surveillance recordings. I thought he was crazy to think that stuff would still work. He went up to the platform and came back with the DVR, mentioning that probably there were some mouse droppings inside; it made noise when shaking and there had been a mouse nest underneath. 

I took it home and then the surprises started. Some droppings came out, so I opened the case ... and carefully moved the DVR outside for further cleaning. The mice had come in through the holes under the HDD and used this warm place as toilet for years. 

The biggest surprise, however, was that once cleaned and connected; we actually had the last three months of non-stop recording by two cameras. Good quality night and day picture. Amazing, so I definitely can recommend this machinery to everybody.

Some 8-10 years ago, we installed a surveillance system with two cameras in my son's big blacksmith workshop shed in the forests. As recorder we use the AVTECH KPD674BZ-C. The DVR was installed in the "attic", actually a wooden platform on the steel beams supporting the corrugated metal roofing. Nothing around it to protect it, and that shed (13x30 meter, 8 m high) is not 100% water-wind tight, and hardly heated or isolated. Outside temps vary from -10 Celsius to +30. 

In the first few years we did some checking of recordings but after that, I forgot about it. It was not much needed because most of the old metal was inside a fenced part of the grounds, and you would not want to mess with the dog running free there. I sometimes noticed that the one camera still was emitting infrared, but never thought it still also would be recording.

Anyway, last week people stole some metal; a lot is now outside the fence and the dog has died. My son asked me to check the surveillance recordings. I thought he was crazy to think that stuff would still work. He went up to the platform and came back with the DVR, mentioning that probably there were some mouse droppings inside; it made noise when shaking and there had been a mouse nest underneath. 

I took it home and then the surprises started. Some droppings came out, so I opened the case ... and carefully moved the DVR outside for further cleaning. The mice had come in through the holes under the HDD and used this warm place as toilet for years. 

DVR as outhouse 1

IMG_6360_resize.thumb.JPG.10a9602378459390346c0e5f6361ecbd.JPG

The biggest surprise, however, was that once cleaned and connected; we actually had the last three months of non-stop recording by two cameras. Good quality night and day picture. Amazing, so I definitely can recommend this machinery to everybody.

One question: how can I download - backup that 1 TB HDD to my PC for better viewing?

I tried to connect the HDD directly to my PC through hot swap bay. Windows 10 disk management recognizes a HDD, but does not assign a letter and the only option I have is to delete the volume,  I tried to backup something to a flash drive, but those drives are too small. Also, the automatically installed  PlayerLiteHJ install ends in "avcodex.dll missing".

I wanted to make this a separate thread, but do not know what the best forum board would be for this?

Windows 10, but I have a laptop with W7. I also have this connector setup to connec SATA HDD and SSD to my PC, but as said, I cannot get into the HDD to copy or even mirror the drive.