Hi All,

I am new the forum and need some help, I would like to set-up cctv at my retail shop and be able to monitor the system over the internet at home. I have a pc and a broadband connection at the shop and at home, Am i correct in thinking all i need is the cameras and a dvr card to be able to monitor the system online? or would i need something else. Is their software available that would automatically pop up on the screen if motion was detected?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Simon

Do some research. There is alot of information on this forum including a search function!

As for your setup, you will most likely need a new PC configured specifically for your recording. This has been proved to work best for maximum operating time. The last thing you want is for your surveillance system to be down.

You can either look for a standalone DVR or a PC based DVR. You might benefit from a pre-conifigured PC based DVR as well as you can get support on the pc/software from the same person, rather than getting the run around wondering if its memory or something in the softwares database going bonkers.

The biggest help you'll get............grab your phone book, lookup "Security" in the yellow pages, and call a few people out for free quote. Get your system done professionally and get it done right the first time.

Some things to ask when they come out for the FREE bid:

Warranty

Battery Backup

Demo of Equipment

Nightime Image Quality

While most people decide soley on budget, try to take the numbers out of the game. You want a good reliable system, great support, and something that is going to really work for your application.

Hope this helps.....

Thanks for the info, Unfortunately i'm on a bit of a tight budget at the moment so cannot pay a company to install the cctv, I have a pc already which i would use only for the cctv, So if i buy a dvr card and cameras will i be able to view the cctv online through the card? I'm not sure how it works

I have searched through the forum but cannot find any answers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Try the GeoVision cards. We use them in most of our PC-based installs. For retail shops, there is also a POS box that basically overlays the POS transaction information on top of the video so you can tell what they rung up (or not!)

Just try to make sure you don't buy a counterfit, although some of them are pretty hard to tell. GeoVision has a way to spot counterfit cards, so you might want to peruse their site.

Also, Check out Avermedia DVR card they are pretty good and very easy to use with all the features you would ever need including POS integration...