Secure_It_Video

RG59 BNC Compresion Connectors

Hey, everyone.

I am having troubles with RG59 BNC compression connectors, meaning I keep "burning them" by comressing them, only to have them fall off my awaiting cable.

I believe they are an excellent product, but way to expensive to be going trough 12 or 14, and having them not stay, so I thought I would post this.

I am wondering if the sripping is off, I am using a stripping tool and they sometimes take to the cable but when I strip them by hand I have a better success rate, although not perfect.

So, my Q is to you all...

Does anyone out there use compression connectors alot?

Do you compress everyone of them without fault?

Thank you for replies...

Secure It Video Systems

ive used twist ons for the past 2 years and have yet to have one fail and i know when they are on right or not so im hesitant to go with another connector -- call me old school

Ditto. IMO the best part about twist-ons is when you do screw it up all you need to do is start over. At the most you waste an inch or two of cable but you can reuse the terminal a couple few times without problem.

You could have your stripper setup wrong or you are tring to put the wrong terminal on the right cable or vise versa. I doubt you could get an RG59 compression terminal on an RG6QS.

Also you still have to ram it in there and usually twist, you might get some RG59 F type compression terminals. They are easier to learn with as you can see how far in the insulation is when compressed properly. BNC terminals you kinda have to do blind.

the compression connections you have to strip perfectly. I mean exactly the measurments that the instructions say. You will get used to it and it will become second nature. One good thing about the compression is you know you made a 100% connection or 0%. there is no 50%. Its all or none

You also have to be sure you have the proper 2 piece connector for the size of cable we have to stock at least three different sizes one for standard rg 59 one for rg6 and one for "new generation sized cable also plenum cable sometimes is a different diameter

I use compression fittings religously now, they are great. I successfully terminate 97% of them all the time now. Get a good stripper and you should be fine. Also, find a good fitting thats also somewhat inexpensive.

I can get my compression fittings for about $0.50 more than my twist ons now.

nothing wrong with the twist-ons. i've tested a piece of cable (3 foot) with compression on one side and twist-on on the other. a co-worker and i played light tug-o-war with the cable and both connectors held up. the biggest reason is that they were both put on properly. compressions are nice but really work no better than any other connector.

strip for 85% of compressions is 1/4" center and 1/4" braid

after you have put a couple dozen on, you feel the connector seat and you know it is good. started at about 70% but now am 99%.

GEM connectors are horrible,,,stay away

Well, then

What a response to that topic.

Thank you all for your input.

I was speaking of compresion, not crimp on.

We all have our favorite installation techniques for sure, many of them no better than the other.

I do like the compresion fittings because they are definately on once they are on. Some manufactors like to claim they are water tight, but that worries me. If someone is concerned with water at the rear end of their head end, or their camera, relocation of equipment should be considered??

The cable guys' fittings have always lasted for years. You can move into a house that had cable installed in the early eighties and the connectors are still tight as a drum.

Anyway, I have been practicing stripping more precise. That seems to do the trick.

Thank you again for all input.

This site rocks, no?