Hi guys!

I wrote a post but I can't find it I think I forgot to title it

I was wondering what some expert opinions are on splicing RG59 together with the male/male bnc unions? I know its always better to have ONE cable run but how bad is it if you add to an existing run with a bnc connector?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Karen

You have the basic idea, it's not desirable but it happens sometimes.

If you are using the cheasy premade cables then you are doomed, get some real siamese cable and buy a stripping tool. It will be well for the extra few bucks.

I've had to splice coax cables more times than I care to remember due to people wanting their DVRs moved.

The BNC connectors work fine. I've done this with short(<100ft) and long(>300ft) runs with no obvious loss of picture quality.

Thanks CollinR,

I borrowed my Uncle's tools. He has a RG59 and RG6 stripper. And yeah, I do have siamese cable. I don't know what brand it is though. What are the effects if you splice? lines, graininess, distortion or all of the above?

-Karen

Some of it will depend on the camera and signal strength. My understanding is that it's a three 3db loss everytime you change connectors.

I dont use connectors when splicing .. unless i have to .. i just splice them together manually and tape them up good .. its strong cable and its not going anywhere .. and once its done right .. no loss of video .. compared to using connectors.

Hi Rory,

How do you splice the cable? Do you solder the center conductor and braid? Do you butt the end of the center conductor, side by side or twist them? Same question for the braid.

Thanks so much.

PS Is Rory your first name? I know the name Rory is from Irish decent.

-Karen

Hi Karen,

I have gone through the whole story, the best way to put a joint due to any reason , is to splice the cables , twist the centre conductors and the braid (seperately), and solder them. After that insulate them properly,to protect the connections from moisture. I don't how many times I have done so ,on very long lengths as well. This thing is all right for CCTV video signals, and not with the RF signals because on each joint you loose 3dB.

yep i do everything he said above .. except the solder part .. should do the solder but anyway

center to center, braid to braid .. tape it up .. easiest way.

Soldering protects the connections,as the bare copper oxidises and the contacts will not remain fast in long term.

my connection here at my own place .. right on the beach front .. been exposed now for 4 years .. just tape on and off .. still works

Karen,

Generally speaking, if you put a connection into an RG 59B/U (for example) cable run (whether its a connector coupling or a well made soldered splice), then the resulting loss in signal is usually equivalent to about 20 metres ( 65 feet) of extra cable.

It's difficult to be accurate, simply because cable quality can vary, and of course the quality of the connectors or splicing technique will have a significant bearing on the eventual signal loss.

If cables are to be extended by a soldered splice method, then it's best to use an adhesive lined polyolfin heat shrink sleeve, to overseal the joint for perhaps an inch and a half either side of the exposed area.

If done correctly, this will withstand immersion in water for many years!

Wow I have never spliced, say coops...does it make a difference how short the connection that is being spliced on is, IE short bit to the DVR or short bit near a camera as apposed to in the middle of a run?

I use cameras that have an inbuilt disty amp...well actually its better than that they send a signal up the coax and measure the impedance, then the camera can automatically compensate for any loss, it hink the cameas are actually able to run around 800 feet without los on RG59, kinda handy never needing to use an amp and means that all cameras have same signal quality at the DVR end making them look balanced on the screen.