Karen Love

Any thoughts or opinions on this camera?

Its your basic OEM camera. It would be ideal for an indoor application where the lighting was constant. Outdoors it will be okay but won't work well in light changing environments. The lux level is a bit a marketing tool. The low light won't perform quite like you think it will. Its also a fixed wide angle lens. If your looking for general view as well, this might work. But if your looking for any kind of identification, this is not your camera.

What are you wanting to use it for?

I was looking to use it for an outdoor back entrance. Mounting it under an eave. There is an overhead light that lights the entrance pretty bright. The camera would be mounted further away in the dark (20 feet away).

They are on sale for $65! What do you think of that price?

Karen

Might work for you. CCTVIMPORTS return policy isn't all the great, no matter what they tell you. This is coming from experience. And just to let you know, based on thier quality and customer service, I don't purchase anything from them except a few misc. install pieces.

The price for the camera is great, however really do get what you pay for. The plus side in your case on this camera is that your only out $65 so thats not too bad.

I'd say give it a shot, make sure when your mounting/installing your camera you treat it like your going to take a photograph. You don't want the light pointed at the camera lens as well as the source of the light in the immediate veiw of the lens. Light is great for cameras but can equally be bad for them if not setup properly.

Buying this camera at this price would be "hoping" the camera does the trick. Again, I wouldn't count on using the video recorded from this camera as evidence unless the person happens to be within 3 feet of the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your opinion. I think I'll hold off on that camera...even at $65. I kinda got excited at the original price of $145 and on sale for $65. That's a huge savings. I also figured that it's a Sony EX-View HAD which I read good things about on the forum. There are soooo many cameras out there. I don't need it right away and I'd like to learn a little bit more and get the right camera. I bought a Sanyo Day/night VCC-4794 and I'm not very happy with the night vision, so Id imagine this bullet would be pretty bad.

Thanks so much for your fast reply. The special is over today. I'm glad I got your opinion.

Karen

The Sanyo is a much better camera, and quality would be much better also, in color and in BW mode. It is also a True Day Night camera, whereas the bullet mentioned is strictly color, and uses one of the cheaper Exview Chips. The effective Pixels is much greater on the Sanyo Box camera so once it is setup properly it will be crisper video.

If its darker than the Sanyo mentioned can handle (in BW mode), then you will need Infrared. The Sanyo's color mode is not that low light, but the BW mode is what matters. If you need an even better low light camera then check out the GE Exview Day Night Box camera (KTC-2000DN) which is Exview True Day Night (Color and BW).