baywatch

Playback CD on different computers

Hi

Haven't posted for some time as we've been so busy, however I am getting sick of customers moaning that they cannot view the Cds on other computers.

We have the same problems with the police & local goverment, schools etc. I think the reason is that they are not allowed to keep their Media Player up to date without help from their IT department (usually non existant help).

You guys know any way around this problem? We recently had to put evidence onto video tape for the police, thats crazy.

Excuse me if its been covered before.

Thanks

Not sure exactly what you mean but I assume that media player is not playing back the AVI files GeoVision creates.

I believe you just need the codec installed on the computer doing the playback.

Later versions of GeoVision software allow you to create an .EXE file of the video...basically just packaging the codec and installing it when you play the .EXE file.

Otherwise you can download and install the codec manually.

Ezcctv.com lets you download it here if you register with their site.[/url]

Or if you google search 'geovision codec' you can find a number of sites that offer the download.

If the video was recorded in anything besides Mpeg4 ASP or H.264 (which neither I recommend for quality video anyway), then you can use the following also .. not updated in a while but will work on that soon. Either way it works.

[link removed by rory, reason dead link]

Edited by Guest

I always recommend that people use the proper backup method and create the CD with EZViewlog on it. This has the codec, the full player, and the Watermark verification tool.

I agree with ezCCTV. The quality is at it's peak and all the enhancement and zoom functions are there. Far far far superior to WMP.

EZViewlog500.exe is the autorun application on any GeoVision Backup CD. Its a version of the Viewlog that installs GeoVIsion codecs if they are not present.

Man, all this time i was using Geo i never actually tried the backup .. but did today and yep it makes a self executable just like View Log so you can playback the cameras just like you are there . .. course for 4 cameras for 2 hours it was 5GB but was worth it .. and the cops had a 6GB USB Drive so it worked out good.

what i would like to see is an option for creating either a VCD or DVD right from the playback window within geo ...

the nero program, for burning cd's and dvds, has a set of custom API's that you can use on your own app to embed burning capabilities...

http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/SDK_API.html

I wonder if you would be able to somehow export a list of files you want to burn from geo, then use the nero API to create a DVD with each chapter being a different video clip. it might not work with the split screen, but it may be good enough. you have to have nero installed already though.

i had the cops ask me for a dvd that they could play in court, since they already had a tv/dvd player. turned out they didn't need it as the case never went to trial. but since then i've been thinking it would be useful to have something like this ...

I havent used DVDs that much, well never used a DVD Burner actually, but wouldnt it have to convert the AVI's into Divx or some other format for a DVD player? If so, I would imagine that processs would use alot of resources or at least take a while .. I think thats why noone does that, best to let the cops do that, or do it seperately yourself .. as the DVR should still be just that, to record video, in my opinion. Course with the new CPUs out now, that could change.

what i would like to see is an option for creating either a VCD or DVD right from the playback window within geo ...

the nero program, for burning cd's and dvds, has a set of custom API's that you can use on your own app to embed burning capabilities...

http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/SDK_API.html

I wonder if you would be able to somehow export a list of files you want to burn from geo, then use the nero API to create a DVD with each chapter being a different video clip. it might not work with the split screen, but it may be good enough. you have to have nero installed already though.

i had the cops ask me for a dvd that they could play in court, since they already had a tv/dvd player. turned out they didn't need it as the case never went to trial. but since then i've been thinking it would be useful to have something like this ...

Rory is on it, you don't want to transcode the Geo files to MPEG or MPEG2 on the DVR itself. Backup the files and then transcode them on another machine if you like. Transcoding is a serious resource hog.

You might be able to do it with control center though, I dunno.

good point about the cpu bandwidth, i hadn't thought of that.

i haven't yet needed to try the backup, but i will give it a shot now. sounds like that would be the easiest way.

With the GV-Hybrid cards or the new GV-2004 / GV-2008 cards, as these record in native MPEG2, you can create a "proper" DVD that will play back in a stanalone DVD player.

GeoVision will export VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories, that you can import easily into Nero.