cycattani

speco dvr tn series

I used a speco tn-8, series dvr with a vga output to a computer lcd display and getting a poor quality picture. Do the resolution have to match both the dvr & monitor. It is not a security monitor it is a 19"

I noticed another alarm company using LCD monitors instead of CRT type, the picture on those monitors are good. I see them now being used in malls and 7-eleven stores etc. Their picture quality is three time the quality of my system, why?????

Stand Alone DVRs to LCD, the image quality will not be anywhere as good as PC DVRs to LCD. But it also will depend on the DVR used, how much better the quality will be. Typically the embedded units would have a Composite to VGA convertor built in to have that VGA out port.

what do you consider the speco tn-8 series?? is it a stand alone or is it or

is it considered a computer based??? Cy

No logic behind it but we consider those stand alone.

In any case Rory, how do I improve the quality of the VGA picture. I am adding another 15" Lcd display at the customer check-out and am going to use a VGA splitter and I understand it has an amplifier built in. I have not installed it yet but will the next installation at this site.

I would try a regular computer monitor (non lcd) and see what you get. I'm guessing the problem is most likely the lcd. as for the resolution, monitor resolution should be equal to or greater than the dvr output resolution.

The problem could also be the distance, you cant run VGA cable long without deteriorating the signal and splitting it will make it worse, you need a high quality cable specially made with gold pins to run longer distances.

Is the DVR a PC or True standalone, because if it is PC then the VGA will be ok..so long as it is the main systems screen you are talking about and not the secondary output, but if it is a true standalone..it is unlinkely to have a VGA output and if it does it will always look poorer.

The first thing to work out is what is the main output and what is the secondary output, IE is the main VGA = PC if so then try a non LCD screen and short cable to see if it improves...if it is a true standalone then use a standard CRT composite monitor and th picture will be awesome.

Keep in mind the PC can only send out digitised video but a standalone can send out raw video..there is a big difference however some PC Based DVR's use a thing called a DSP card, this is digitised but not compressed like the capture chips that record so the output is close to the quality of standard composite video.

Firstly what are you trying to achieve...if you only want one cam on the second monitor then that is one story, and if you want to run your monitor from a long way away that is another...let us know the set up and equipment and we can advise you, keep in mind when using LCD's to take into consideration Resolution, Refresh Rates and Contrast ratios

Here is the layout: Speco 8 channel DVR with video BNC out and VGA

out. I selected to use VGA monitors. Two of them, one at the DVR and

one at the cash register. The greatest distance is 25 feet of cord which

is a 15 pin VGA monitor cable. The monitor cable at the DVR is 3 feet.

That is the installation. The monitors are Computer monitors not BNC

security monitors. Cy Cattani