jeromephone

Problems with octupus cable

Has anyone else having problems with the cables supplied with the geo cards? They seem to be the biggest problem with video lost etc. I am very carefull about tieing them down but it seems I am getting about one connection out of thirty that fails. Are there any alternate cables avaliable. I have used the old D style connections and they are hard to work with in the field.

We have also had some problems with the D-sub - BNC octopus cables included with the Geo systems. The newer kits seem to feature cables of lesser quality. Failures have not been consistent, ranging from loss of a single camera, to loss of all 8. Excessive noise has also been attributed to the octopus cables.

We are now ordering extra cables from Esentia and testing all inputs before shipping.

Does anybody know if their is a third party mfg of that same type of cable.

It would be nice to have a more rugged setup. The customer looks at that tangle of wires and wonders. We try and make everything neat but sometimes you have to be so careful with the wires that you have a bit of a mess. I am keeping a couple of sets of cables in stock

you can use a db-9 straight thru cable (female to male) to extend the location where you actually terminate the cable. i feel that some of the vid loss is caused by the strain of the cable bundle pulling on the back of the card. if you extend it, you can properly dress and support the cables away from the PC. you now only have one cable from each card port going to a jb or patch panel. a lot neater and less clustered.

ever jiggle the bundle of cable and the vid came back?

i found those nagging occasional vid losses went away.

I have installed a decent amount of DVR's being geo and the likes

the octopus cables supplied have never failed me

I have 48 camera on one site with 3 gv1000 cards in rack cases,

installed mid 2004 never an issue

Make sure your bncs dont touch if you have a ground loop also, maybe wrap some tape around them or sleeve heat shrink

hope that helps

It should not make any difference if the bnc's on a geo octopus cable touch, if you measure the resistance between the outer earths on two spare bncs when plugged in you will see they are all directly shorted together anyways.....

Thats right Ken, they are a common ground,

I had issues on one site with a ground loop with a comart card and had to try everything, this did help

Ground loops can pose a problem,

Even with alarms.

I dont know how many a time we had issues with stuff shorting or playing up cause the panel is metal on metal wall studs...

Best to elliminate everything.