mfuzzy

Video Insight IPCServer concerns

anybody using the VI IP server?

noticed that the frame rates setting make no difference, you only get 5 frames. that is not the real bad part, the live view is also only 5 frames. am i missing a setting somewhere?

server is 32 port built on dell poweredge with 2 3.0 dual core(pentium d) and 2 gig ram. with 29 cams, cpu is 75% with view all open and about 60%withit closed. all recorded images are there.

cams are axis 2420 (20 of them), axis 211 (5) and axis 213 (4). the 2420's were part of an older install. we upgraded the servers when we put more cams in and decided to go with the VI.

i like the VI, but 32 cams x 5 frames is only 160 and live view should be good stream.

the network is private and all fiber with gig switches. bandwidth is not the issue. cams have their own vlan.

VI tech support says we should get better frames...........anybodies input would be appreciated but hoping Thomas could shed some light.

work with tech support and Thomas..both are the shiznit......

I'm a dealer/installer for VI and have a demo IP server running with 3 camera's, and a client using it with 3 -4 camera's on one Server. I can increase the frames no problem. I do know that the network bandwidth directly impacts the IP Server. From what I have read in your post, your setup needs to be calculated for impact to network.and VI will help you with that.

One of the biggest concerns for IP Servers is the ability of a network to handle the traffic. a couple camera's, 2 or 3, will slow down a Megabit network real fast. I don't know what a Gigabyte network can handle in terms of multiple IP camera's all wanting routing to a Server. The bottle neck for a IP Server is most likely onboard the Server and not outside it as the Network card used is usually a meg or Gig and common sense tells me that even the biggest of networks can't make a Server card bigger than it can handle..........it will crawl if overloaded. That's why I always recommend going analog FIRST and only IP if you can't.....and if you do I always seperate the data from video via a seperate network system. If your pushing several Gig into a Gigabyte Server.......well, there is no way to make the Server Gig bigger. Has Ultra Gig been bridged yet?

Sounds like you have a bottleneck issue and you are maxing out the whole package and then some. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

ps.....why such a hugh demmand for frame rate anyway? I'm always wondering why higher is considered better? But my opinion is mine..........

later

I haven't fooled around with VI software yet although I have been meaning to get a demo or test license.

You should be getting better frames than 5 for that many cameras. Some software packages only allow X amount of frames per second for all their cameras instead of X amount for each camera. I wouldn't mind getting some clarity from Video Insight if their software is like this.

I recently installed a 32 camera installation of Milestone software that works pretty good. The cameras are running 5 to 30fps without issue.

Does Thomas work for Video Insight?

server has gig nic card. we even ran network analysis. it is not on the network.

record frame rates are fine at 5 but it also limits the live view to 5. i need a stream to live view. cam opened in browser on server streams fine

I'm talking to support at the moment. I don't have an answer, my time in support was coming to an end when IP Server was coming out so I don't have a lot of experance with troubleshooting it. Give me a day or so and I should have some answers.

we were able to open a vpn for support to get in and look at system. they have looking into it now and we are hoping for good news. appreciate anything you can come up with,,,or your support team.

I know they have spent time in the system making some adjustments. I generally try not to crowd them on support issues. I know they were able to get the frame rates higher then what you posted.

tech support ended up being great. solved the issue which was in the image resolution and compression settings in software that somehow takes control of the camera's output streams. who knew, apparently it does this with the axis cams only. now we all know this fix.

with lower resolution and less copression, image is still the same quality, 29 cams capturing ave 20 frames and cpu is down to about 30%

that's 2 - 32 ports each with 29 cams on gig network all fiber backboned on campus environment now working great.

liking the VI line

thanks for the support

Axis allows IP camera software to be set to grab a differant stream then what is shown via the web. The cameras were set for low resolution on the camera but the software was told to grab the high resolution images. And Axis allows for this.