Hillman

I think I am going to go with BW cameras…

I think I am going to go with BW cameras…is this reasoning correct?

I am putting together a home system to view a gate I can not see from the house and to view the critters passing around the gate on their way to my garden. Night vision is very important for the gate and the garden.

The cameras are not for catching criminals ( we live so far out in the country criminals know everyone has dogs and guns and a sheriff, who if you shoot and kill one will shake you hand and thank you for ridding society of a piece of human debris and saving the tax payers the cost of a trial).

The gate camera is just to make sure the gate opens properly and to see the critters passing by on their way to my garden. The garden camera will be the one of highest quality to see the critters enjoying a snack. If I can find acceptable quality for the right price I may buy two for complete coverage 100 X 100 ft garden area.

Since night vision is what I seek most and learning what I have so far ( mostly from this site) it would seem I would get the best quality video from BW cameras for money spent.

Correct?

It sounds like you are on the right track.

If you go with a box camera Fujinon has a fractional F stop lens (F .97), very good for low light.

What's your budget?

It sounds like you are on the right track.

If you go with a box camera Fujinon has a fractional F stop lens (F .97), very good for low light.

What's your budget?

Well I was hoping to stay under $1000.

I guest-a-mate

1. Geovision GV-600-4 ~ $200

2. Gate Camera has to be outdoor and wireless ~ $300

3. Garden Camera has to outdoor ~ $500

I am open to suggestions and guidance.

Can you draw a picture of your property for me, it's difficult to invision.

How far away is the gate?

Do you have line of sight with the gate from any point on your home (second floor, only from the chimney...)? If the main purpose is just to see if the gate properly opens and closes, you won't need alot of camera. It would be far better if you get a box camera and a long lense and housing then a junk wireless setup.

How far is the garden?

How large are the critters you wish to capture?

(IE Rabbits at 100' away will have a VERY narrow field of view.)

Do you have any overhead power lines?

Thanks of all the help!

I have attached a jpeg file with the layout.

No visible line of sight to gate due to vegetation and elevation drop. A wireless antenna on top of the gate post will provide "almost( through top of vegetation) " line of sight to receiver on shop. If I have to I can run wire to gate but I would really like to avoid that. No overhead power lines.

Would you consider this camera a "junk wireless setup"?

http://www.avtechsolutions.com/vavslr2-kt.htm

Garden cam will be mounted about 20 feet high with clear view garden. Garden starts at shop and expands out about 100 ft x 100 ft. I don't really care about rabbits mostly want to see deer and bears.

layout.JPG.3c01e5e9090a3c15976fe13bfd3455d4.JPG

Why does it have to be wireless? You need to run power anyway, so bury a siamese coax cable and forget about wireless.

Why does it have to be wireless? You need to run power anyway, so bury a siamese coax cable and forget about wireless.

What about the cost of the PC for the geo-card, is that in the budget?

Hi CSG,

Power is already at the gate to operate the gate opener and the PC is already in the shop connected to the house LAN.

The ONLY reason I want wireless is I don't want to have to run another cable.

My soil/ground is particularly rocky..so much so every other shovel scoop will hit a rock. It takes about 3 times as long and 4 times the effort to bury a cable in my soil as it does in normal soil, but if wireless technology is so inferior then I may bury a cable. I will read some more.

Thank you.

I am looking at the Pelco MC3651h ftp://www.pelco.com/ProductSpecs/Pelco_MC3651H-2_Series_B-W_Camera_spec.pdf

I notice in the spec sheet it says (LENS AND MOUNT NOT SUPPLIED WITH CAMERA).

Do I understand this correctly?

I buy the camera and I have to buy the lens separate.

If I go with their 1/3" 8mm F1.2 DC Auto-Iris CS-Mount it will give me a wide angle of view.

Width of view =Distance X Image sensor value (1/3=4.8mm)/ Focal Length

100 feet out from camera ( farthest end of garden) X 4.8/8= 60 ft width at back of garden.

Is that correct?

Well, after reading and taking the advice of others here I have decided on the Extreme WZ18 for the garden. For $325 it has everything I want with high quality.

http://www.extremecctv.com/product_detail.php?producttype_id=10&page=1&product_id=181

I have also abandoned the wireless route to the gate and opted for an alternate location for the camera so the cable run will be more like 60 feet. I not yet selected the camera but I am close to deciding on it.

I also decided to go with the Geovision GV-650-4 (60FPS) since I plan to add at least one more cameras in the future.

My goal was to keep the current solution under $1000 and it looks like I will make it thanks to everyone's help and advise.

Thanks folks!!

layout2.JPG.4f4fde447d43f9fd1418d92f064f146d.JPG

why do u need a camera to see lil animals on ur garden????

i could understand if you hooked up a shotgun and had pan/tilt/fire control tho lol