Thomas

Question about what you guys want.

Would you guys have any intrest in software that can handle both IP camera's and analouge cameras?

the only need I can think of is watching a few remote locations, where atleast one of them requires only one camera instead of a whole dvr system. so I assume there's no great need for this.

what I would like is good ip cameras that can be all chained to one ip and be seen all together from one application.

an embedded stand alone, or PC stand alone, that works with both like you said, and only 1 static Ip is required for the actual DVR. Upgradable Hard Drives, 2 way audio, all channel audio recording, interlinking DVRs, Real time on all cameras (30pps), Flash & Firewire & DVDRW and other back up & archiving, 64 camera multi site views (or whatever fits neat on a 63" Plasma), unlimited sites(DVRS) into custom views, Access Control Integration, Burglar Alarm integration, Wireless LAN for wireless IP cameras, Wireless Frequencies for Wireless Cameras (eg. 2.4Ghz, 1.2 ghz, 5.8 ghz), SDK software/controls, Multiple Video Outputs (RGA, COMP, SVideo, etc), Tablet PC, Pocket PC, Palm, Wristwatch Monitor of single ch video (like the casio type digital camera watches), Conferencing feature ...

i may have forgot something, just throwing in some ideas

I like this idea. I like the flexibility a system like this gives you. Especially when tying into an existing system.

Some manufacturers are already doing this. That is, allowing you to connect IP cameras directly to their NetDVR and using video encoders to convert existing cameras from analog to IP. Saves the cost of replacing all existing cameras if interested in a NetDVR solution.

you can already do that, I keep reading about the ability of standalones and how they will revolutionise the industry, to me that is pure hogwash, the point is that PC will always be the first to devlop the new hardware and the first to take advantage of it, the consumer drives the development but not in security more in PC based video capture and rendering.

I also can not believe the hype over I.P. camera in the US, this is very strange because the majority of the models i have seen are not as well made as good high end analogue cameras.

The way i see the future is very different to most, and i see a hybrid technology emerging, lets face it the only advantage at this stage of I.P. cameras is that you masy not need to run new wires but the bandwidth is not really up to the technology to share the bandwidth yet.

You see you can now buy a 9ch webserver box for under $150 US, this is like a little router that allows you to plug your cameras in (analogue) and have full access, they already also allow you a 232 connection to a PC or Standalone box so that you can have a full remote features suite.. now I am not saying this is the new changes coming but when they have a way to put simply.. a box that can compress the video, be a full webserver and just sit a HDD, and supporst WIFI, we have it made!!!

I know your all thinking well isnt that a standalone, but no it isnt and its very cheap to run.. I.P. is popular because you MAY NOT need to run wires, and the Router using one address, WIFI webservers to WIFI cams, using internal addresses and the router using an external means.... a 16ch install that takes 2 days can be done in less than two hours, no more wiring problems to solve or moving of a camera, this will result in many more hours available for sales and will also result in end users being able to buy the products off the shelf.

So in answer to your question why not go for a webserver and use an analogue camera?

Im on the same page with you as regards to analogue cameras at least

Webservers over this side are more expensive than that though, more in the range of $600+ for 8 channels.

From what i see, its mostly computer companies that sell IP cameras, with not much prior knowledge of the CCTV or security industry. Not that thats a bad thing, there is a market for both, and a 'little' competition is always a good thing.

When you say 2 hours for 16 camera install, remember though even with WIFI, the camera will still require some power installation, so wire is always going to be with us no matter what happens. Besides it would take more than 2 hours for one person to install 16 cameras drilling into concrete etc, but I know where you are coming from either way. Cut out the electrician wiring or in house wiring and you cut down on conduit and maybe a week of running wire.

Problem here with any wireless is most buildings are pure concrete, with alot of steel, so wireless is very limited and works only some of the time, but it is nice when it does.

Another thing you are forgeting is the Stand Alone PC, looks like an embedded stand alone, but is PC baced:

http://www.adsdvr.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=dvr

Or the EzSys ones you said you use also.

Rory