magga

Replacing Hard Drive Dedicated Micros D4

I installed a WD 100Gig HD. It recording now. The steps are easy.

I called the California authorized repair center, they said they only use Hitachi hard drives now and 320Gig is the recommended maximum. Anything above 320G has the possiblilty to be unstable.

Well going from the original 80G to a 320G is a good upgrade in storage capacity.

Just a follow up...

I've yet to have a problem with the units I upgraded beyond 320G. The 16 ch that had a single 160G drive has been humming along with 2 500G drives for the last couple months with no problems. I only use Seagate drives in my replacements, although I have had various other brands that I used in testing and never had a problem. I don't think the brand of drive matters so much, just use something new that is quality.

I never messed with the 9 ch any further. I just put a single 500G drive in it and put it in service. I did try drives as small as 10G I believe, working my way down from the 500. No matter what it wouldn't boot with a slave drive installed. Oh well, 500G for a 9 ch is decent.

Hi guys, I have been given a DS2A DX16C, but on boot up it says "disk problem - may be wrong fat version - suggest using monitor to reformat disk".

From what I've read so far, I would need to know the ip address and use the firmware from DM however as I've never seen the unit working I don't even know if it has one let alone what it would be.

My question is if there is a way to find out the ip considering the DS2 doesn't get past the "disk problem" screen. Or is there another way to get it working without having to send it to DM.

Thanks in advance for any help

[cut]3. Having a slave HD installed (even when it is correctly configured) on a system that was "locked" to only have one hard drive. Unhooking the slave corrected this.

An interesting note on #3 - I was recently trying to upgrade a DS2 9 channel that was originally a single 160 gig HD to two 500 gig HDs. The primary 500 gig drive boots fine and has no problems. When I add the slave drive, the system will not boot. I tried three different slaves of different sizes, but none of them worked. As soon as I remove the slave, the system boots fine. I decided to call DM about it and see if there was something I was missing. The tech at first was talking through it with me, and stated that some DS units are "locked" and won't allow a slave drive. Once I mentioned that I had also upgraded the primary drive, he immediately refused to talk to me. He stated that I shouldn't do that, that they use special HDs in the units not just regular drives, etc. He then said he was not allowed to comment further as what I was doing was not permitted by DM and ended the call.

It's interesting because just a few days ago I took an older DS2 16 ch 160 gig and upgraded it with 2 500 gig drives without a problem. That unit also only had one drive originally. The only difference was that it was older and has different boot software and application software installed. I can't change the boot software on the 9 ch but I might try to install an older rev of the application and see if that resolves it. Most likely it's in the boot software thought. I also might try removing the slave from the 16 and installing it as a slave in the 9 with the folder structure already in place. I don't think that will work, but it's worth a try.

Following your instructions I yet installed 2 x 500Gb Seagate 7200.10 in my DS2 16 ch (originally was 1 x 80Gb). As the master drive work perfectly in place, the slave drive not allow the system to start as you described here!

Did you worked around and found a system how to 'reset' bios and unlock the slave drive?

I will try some experiments trhu serial connection with severals command available after the 'up towngirl' command...

regarding the issue with upgrading a Kalatel DVRME's hard drive...... the hard drive cannot have more than a 8mb buffer regardless of whether it's 5400 or 7200 rpm and whether or not you have the upgraded 7 amp external power supply or the older 5 amp. and its hard to find 300+ gb drives 8mb buffers.

Hi guys, I have been given a DS2A DX16C, but on boot up it says "disk problem - may be wrong fat version - suggest using monitor to reformat disk".

From what I've read so far, I would need to know the ip address and use the firmware from DM however as I've never seen the unit working I don't even know if it has one let alone what it would be.

My question is if there is a way to find out the ip considering the DS2 doesn't get past the "disk problem" screen. Or is there another way to get it working without having to send it to DM.

Connect the Serial cable from your PC to Serial port 1 on the DS2, and use 'Hyperterminal' with the following settings: 19200-8-N-1

in the Hyperterminal window, tap ESC ESC ESC to get the ?:\ prompt

Type 'up towngirl'

Type 'help' for command list, here you should change ip address as you wish with the network config command...

enjoy

Connect the Serial cable from your PC to Serial port 1 on the DS2, and use 'Hyperterminal' with the following settings: 19200-8-N-1

Type 'up towngirl'

Type 'help' for command list, here you should change ip address as you wish with the network config command...

enjoy

Thats a great tip.

Wish someone would give a small bit of info on passwords, like do you pull the snaphat or use a cable.

There are a lot of otherwise good DS units going to waste because of lost or forgotten passwords. So, any experts want to give us beginners a clue or is the DS a closed shop!

Do you know if the d4 has a this feature ?

Type 'up towngirl'

enjoy

Do you know if the d4 has a this feature ?

sorry I'm end user and I own only a DS2 but's supposed to be the same if you have the serial on the rear side of your machine

the only difference beetween enter prompt in 'bootloader' or as 'disk error' is like below:

C:\> (bootloader)

?:\> (disk error)

but you can operate many functions also with a disk 'not bootloaded' (fat format error) like change ip address, format C and/or D drive, 'load' a bootloader...

just type 'help' after 'up towngirl' (become admin) to experiment the commands list

Hi, thanks for the tips guys.

Managed to get the c drive to boot up after all, it was the partition table that was corrupted. Put the drive through some software recovery programs and the drive is now fine so I now have the ip address.

Furbo

Must you have serial telemetry already enabled on the unit. If so what protocol should it be set to.

Must it be a null modem cable or a standard serial cable.

Many thanks for the great advice.

Furbo

Must you have serial telemetry already enabled on the unit. If so what protocol should it be set to.

Must it be a null modem cable or a standard serial cable.

Many thanks for the great advice.

My unit (DS2) have 2 serial ports near the AC cable, I used the serial N.1 with a standard 9 pins serial cable.

Just a follow up...

I've yet to have a problem with the units I upgraded beyond 320G. The 16 ch that had a single 160G drive has been humming along with 2 500G drives for the last couple months with no problems. I only use Seagate drives in my replacements, although I have had various other brands that I used in testing and never had a problem. I don't think the brand of drive matters so much, just use something new that is quality.

I never messed with the 9 ch any further. I just put a single 500G drive in it and put it in service. I did try drives as small as 10G I believe, working my way down from the 500. No matter what it wouldn't boot with a slave drive installed. Oh well, 500G for a 9 ch is decent.

I see that segate have introduced surveillance drives that are 'designed' for 24/7 usage. ST3500630AV

Anyone read any reviews or used these drives yet?

Dminstaller, what cache size did you use when you upgraded the drives you mentioned above?

Hi, i have done sucessfully , copy old files off old HDD as a backup, format new HDD in FAT and put the jumper in a master !!! that took me a while to find out as it would not boot up.

Copy the existing files back onto the new drive from the old and it worked for me.

Does anyone know how to default and reset the password ??? as it has been lost . DM dont want to know unless you are a dealer.

I have found the file in NVDATA called D4MKI to contain the menu password , but when changed or deleted it is replaced using its backup in the OS. Ie the password is stored in 2 places and needs reset in both.

I tried shorting all the jumpers and no luck also tried to get in the seriel port using 19200-8-n-1 , esc, esc, esc enter but nothing so i cant get an IP and down load new firmware . Does anyone have any info on how to reset the password on a D4 Dedicated micros ?

Just a follow up...

I see that segate have introduced surveillance drives that are 'designed' for 24/7 usage. ST3500630AV

Anyone read any reviews or used these drives yet?

Dminstaller, what cache size did you use when you upgraded the drives you mentioned above?

For those that maybe interested, ive been running with the above drive for a cpl of months now, and its been excellent. If anything remote playback has been faster, though this may have been down to the original drive being on its way out (few times the unit had locked up and required a hard reset)

I have been upgrading the 160's to 320, but now have anew problem I have not encountered before with the DS2A.

It boots to "Software build incompatible, DVTU". I was sure to only load and extract the DTVU 3.1 software, so I am at a loss at this point.

Anyone have any suggestions??

J

I am not an expert, and I would have to defer to others who are experts on the DM's.

I wish I could be of more help.

I have been upgrading the 160's to 320, but now have anew problem I have not encountered before with the DS2A.

It boots to "Software build incompatible, DVTU". I was sure to only load and extract the DTVU 3.1 software, so I am at a loss at this point.

Anyone have any suggestions??

From talking to DM about this, the DVTU has preset firmware, and not all of the units can be upgraded to bigger drives, tried to replace a DM supplied 320gb drive into a 160gb DS2 and it didnt work, DM's tech support was terrible and offensive, They do offer an upgrade service, but the price is obscene. Now i've ended up here, after buying a segate 160gb drive at the local pc shop, and formatted it via the monitor interface, its all fine

The DM supplied 320gb drive is just a standard hitachi drive, and it booted and worked fine, but didnt last very long before the machine showed an error and froze.

DM do, or at least did, offer a HDD field service training course, and i've done this course.

Hope this is of some help to others.

Big thanks to testweight for the Billy Joel pass

Excellent - and thanks for the reply. I have been good with the 320's. I actually had the same error with the original 160Gig HD. I am going to get another DVTU unit (we have many (alot)in our fleet, so this won't be a problem) - and straight copy the hard drive.

I will let you all know how this goes. I honestly believe that is all that it will take. The DM service department is "rude and offensive' as you encountered - you would think with as much business as we have given them, they would be a little more pleasant in the out of warranty repairs......

I will make this work one way or another - as it is now a matter of personal pride.............

DM are very secretive about technical issues. it took me about 3 years to get a back door password for a sprite 2 that they said had to be returned to be repaired.

I wouldn't believe a word the over priced shower say any more to be honest.

I sent scorpion a PDF of DM's technical bulletin for changing hard drives. it may be useful in your case. It covers more than just the DS2

good luck

http://scorpiontheater.com/Documents/DM_HDD_BOOKLET_Issue_3.zip

well it looks like the machine i was working with has rejected thed HD i put into it, in the same way the 320Gb drive was rejected.

Machine just crashes and the red light on the front flashes.

DM say there might be a fault with it so we should just send it back to them.

But works fine with the old HD, so I'm tempted to leave it with the old drive...

Have to contact the customer and let them know whats going on with it and let them make the call...