AZ Pete

Analytical Video for Security Purposes

I am trying to research some of the pros and cons of using analytical video for security purposes. I am unfortunately having some difficulty finding the information I need on-line so I thought I would join your forum and pose my questions to you, the experts.

For those who have used analytical video to secure perimeters or other assets, what are the typical questions that clients have asked regarding AV? What are the pros and cons of AV? What are site concerns a user might overlook before employing an AV security system?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

Also not sure what analytical video is...

But whatever it is, if its really for security purposes (ie your researching for security, not just researching about security) then I would recommend getting a pro to handle it, as cctv is a great fun to learn, but not something I would ever recommend someone learns the hard way.

If your not bothered about the security, learn, if you need security, get someone that has learnt the hard way to save you making the same mistakes they made ages ago.

As for securing perimeters etc, cctv is useful but only part of a solution, there is a alarm industry that should also be considered in that aspect.

I’m not sure but, I saw a thing on tv the other night where a video analyst was able to put a transparent white oval haze over a suspected shooter in the middle of a crowd. In the middle of the crowd were all the kayos was going on, people ID-ed the wrong person as the shooter. After watching the video, the analyst suspected another guy and highlighted him. The highlight controlled buy the computer program followed the suspect to the point where one could see the real shooter emerge from the crowd and pull the trigger. If I remember right, this was called video analyst software. Again, I’m not sure because of all the damn interruptions while trying to watch the show.

It also sounds like the question is, how do I design my system, camera placenent, lens, etc?

Wow, this could be a very long thread. But will try to keep it short.

The main concern that most prospects have in the whole way using their systems is probably the fact that they are relieving almost all responsibility on human analysis of the video.

Typically a set of guards would actively watch monitors and try to scan this overwhelming amount of information in front of them and try to find any activity that is not ordinary.

We all know how effective this usually is. After a few minutes the guard has become a paid day dreamer.

So the transition that you have to get the end users to see and be comfortable with is the fact that they wont need to have these guards trying to watch cameras and detect any thing od. People just have a heard time feeling comfortable enough to take that jump without allot of explanation and demonstration.

An analytics system is only as good as the cameras viewing angles installation. You have to really cater your whole cam's views to how it can be interpreted by the analytics.

I assumed there were no guards just a wide angle lens camera on the front of a business looking downward towards the street. Therefore, facial recognition may not be possible. From the white clothing the person was wearing and the crowd associating the event with a particular gang, the police were able to locate the real shooter. Simply, the video analysis eliminated the guy the witness’ said, by showing a person with white clothing, holding a gun and firing.

I believe jisaacmagee is correct. This is a type of software that's not found it's way into everyday security. From what I gather from my reading is that its a software or integrated software engine that analyzes a narrow range of information that it was designed to analise. This would be most often utilized in industry specific applications. An example would be: looking at the surface of critical jet engine parts, to detect imperfections at high resolution for metal fatigue. This can be applied to almost anything.

I’m not sure what the fellows question really is? However, I’m thinking in a way that we in cctv surveillance or police work might use a analytical computer program. I don’t know much about it, but, its called image forensics. Anyway, placement of cameras, type and size of lens etc., would surely help minimize the analyzation effort. The bottom line is plain good surveillance system design.

Yep MSM, I have seen amazing results of before and after video's that were run through these special programs. Which NASA or companies have a use for. We on the bottom of the food chain so to speak, can't afford these programs. Got to go... football playoffs are about to start.