cctvman

Cabling Estimates

huh? disco the pulley? fish the wires down the wall? I dont understand what your trying to explain. Would you mind trying to explain it again?

Because the pulley is mounted hopefully to a structural beam almost directly above the DVR the wire that runs through it won't go overtop the beam and the tails will be hanging through a ceiling tile. Thats not cool excpet for in certain instances.

Once you disconnect the pulley the coax will be on the top of the tiles which isn't up to code, just throw them over the beam the pulley was mounted to and then drill into the wall header behind the DVR. Tape a powerful magnet to a length of pull cord and drop it down the header. Use another magnet to guide it to your hole if you have to. Tape your coax to the other end of the pull cord and thread it through the wall for a nice clean appearence. If you have your power supply above the DVR you might need to do this twice seperating the siamese after pulling it through the power supply hole.

EDIT:

Here is a reasonable example of the style pully I am talking about.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-PB~SW7750A.htm?utm_source=yshop&utm_medium=ppc&Affiliate=yshop

Mine appears lighter and a whole lot cheaper ~$25.

You can use this style at the DVR but you have to thread the coax back through it so it can only be used at the ends of a run. This example is also too small as it might allow for 4 runs at a time if you are lucky.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92308

how much are you guys paying for 1000ft of rg-59 siamese coax? The going rate to buy it locally here is $216.99.

I got a call from a guy from a cabling company who sold me 5 rolls of rg-59u siamese coax for 176.00 a roll shipped! That was not a bad deal at all.

Its not upto code to have cables going through a ceiling tile? Its low voltage wiring isnt it? and where does the shopping cart come in? I still dont understand that part.

CCTVMAN

huh? disco the pulley? fish the wires down the wall? I dont understand what your trying to explain. Would you mind trying to explain it again?

Because the pulley is mounted hopefully to a structural beam almost directly above the DVR the wire that runs through it won't go overtop the beam and the tails will be hanging through a ceiling tile. Thats not cool excpet for in certain instances.

Once you disconnect the pulley the coax will be on the top of the tiles which isn't up to code, just throw them over the beam the pulley was mounted to and then drill into the wall header behind the DVR. Tape a powerful magnet to a length of pull cord and drop it down the header. Use another magnet to guide it to your hole if you have to. Tape your coax to the other end of the pull cord and thread it through the wall for a nice clean appearence. If you have your power supply above the DVR you might need to do this twice seperating the siamese after pulling it through the power supply hole.

EDIT:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-PB~SW7750A.htm?utm_source=yshop&utm_medium=ppc&Affiliate=yshop

You can use this style at the DVR but you have to thread the coax back through it so it can only be used at the ends of a run. This example is also too small as it might allow for 4 runs at a time if you are lucky.

Oh, the shopping cart is just being used for its depth so the spool can rotate freely. I thought you meant you would put the spools in the shopping cart, and thread the cable ends through the pulleys and then back to the dvr and tie it off so it wouldnt move. Then you would roll the shopping cart out along the path but then the cable would have been under the drop ceiling (if there was drop ceiling there) I think i understand what your saying now.

Its not upto code to have cables going through a ceiling tile? Its low voltage wiring isnt it? and where does the shopping cart come in? I still dont understand that part.

CCTVMAN

EDIT:

how much are you guys paying for 1000ft of rg-59 siamese coax? The going rate to buy it locally here is $216.99.

I got a call from a guy from a cabling company who sold me 5 rolls of rg-59u siamese coax for 176.00 a roll shipped! That was not a bad deal at all.

about that first cost .. but it cost me $500 time as it reaches here ..

it is indeed very hard to estimate cables when the camera is installed outdoor, especially at any factory plant. thus cable cost alot for the whole installation.

I sure don't think the 4-6 hrs are off and if anything the hours for interior may be a little light. If you figure the time to test the ptz before you mount it. The time hammerdrilling into concret, which we run into a lot it is pretty easy to use that much time. We used to just trust the camera was working before we mounted it but we had a bad one and we were trouble shooting off from a ladder. Also oftentimes we use a seperate power supply for the ptz (bosch) and that takes some time to setup. If my labor is in error it always seems the project took longer than anticipated not that it was easier.

thats the thing too, the cameras should always be setup and tested at your location before taken to the client, as there is no way to know whether or not you got a dud until it is hooked up and running.

thats the thing too, the cameras should always be setup and tested at your location before taken to the client, as there is no way to know whether or not you got a dud until it is hooked up and running.

That's what I tell myself as I am hanging on a ladder with a camera that won't work !!!

I pay around $90 for 1000ft of 80% Siamese wire, white or black. Shipping is usually around $15 a spool. The only thing I don't like about the wire I buy is that it doesn't have footage labeled on it -- I'm forced to use a scale and a bit of algebra to estimate how many feet I use, but its pretty accurate.

I'd prefer a box, but due to the low cost I'm willing to use a cart I purchased. It is a basic shop cart that I've drilled some holes through to put some 3/4" EMT. I pull the EMT out and place my cables on the pole, thus creating a pulling platform. It stays sturdy most of the time, but it falls over from time to time; I'm slowly learning.

I generally quote out 100' per camera in normal offices where drop ceilings are in play. When I know I'm dealing with a larger building, I'll 1.5 my estimates on wire, but more often than not my actual feet end up being half of my estimate. I charge between .50 and 1.00 a foot on Siamese, so the extra padding helps with unexpected costs, such as additional wiremold, parts, etc.

has anybody used windy city wire? They have foot markers every two feet on the wire. Lets u know how much you have used and how much is let on the real. Not bad.

i have used smartwire - ie windy city wire - their dist facility use to be 15min from my office but they just moved - some of their coax i have had a problem with because the center conductor was stuck to the inner white coating(like when they made the cable it just fused to the center conductor and u had to use a wire stripper to get it all off) and made terminating it a bit of a chore - never seen this happen with other cable from west penn or belden but i do like the markings on the wire for distance

has anybody used windy city wire? They have foot markers every two feet on the wire. Lets u know how much you have used and how much is let on the real. Not bad.

All the Siamese ive used had markings. .. wasnt windy city wire though.