rojhan

Need camera suggestions (with environment/requirements)

I spent several hours surfing the forums last night for information to help with a project I'm working on and found the biggest issue with people helping out is not being given enough information to provide useful suggestions.

I'm in the normal "new to CCTV, need help", but will try to give as much useful information as I can. I have... umm.. a few... years of mechanical/electrical/electronic/computer experience to work with. I just don't know the CCTV equipment market/quality.

To start, my project is basically just to keep an eye on my house while away, rather than police-identification quality. I'd like to see that the house is still there (:)), the fence is up, and nobody is poking around. I also have dogs, so just making sure they aren't doing something to get in trouble would be good, too. Quality would be nice, but expense is definitely a concern. It's an experiment, not a commercial installation. I have a couple of different camera servers I'm playing with, and can go to a purpose-built system with DVR/video-capture if needed. I'm concerned more with the cameras.

I have a ranch-style home on about 1/4 acre in the Portland, OR area. I'd like to cover the front entrance/driveway for visitors/delivery, the back yard, maybe the side yard, and an indoor camera for the center of the house which covers the common kitchen/dining/living-room area. There is rain and humidity, but the outdoor cameras would have at least some protection by the eaves. I don't care much beyond 20' on the front camera, about 50' on the yard cameras, and 25' on the indoor camera.

I'm not too worried about illumination, as I have motion-activated outdoor floods. I don't have strong feelings on B&W vs color, but color would be nice. I don't have a strong preference for bullet vs box, but it seems like box cameras are more flexible with the choice of lenses. I can figure out camera locations and field-of-view and calculate the lens focal length, and plan on getting fixed-length, manual focus lenses and adding auto-iris for the outdoor cameras.

With all of that out of the way, I'd like to keep the cost-per-camera/lens to less than $100. I've tried some of the "electronic store bullet cams" with IR leds, like Q-See (or was it Swann?). The image quality was on the low-side of OK, and I had a 50% failure of the cameras in the first 24 hours.

My current thoughts are looking at 1/3" Sony Super-HAD- based cameras at 420 or 480 TVL, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. I can fab my own enclosures, so being weatherproof isn't a major concern. I do not want to use wireless.

Ideas for camera/lens manufacturers and models? Any other information that would help with responses?

Thanks!

With all of that out of the way, I'd like to keep the cost-per-camera/lens to less than $100. I've tried some of the "electronic store bullet cams" with IR leds, like Q-See (or was it Swann?). The image quality was on the low-side of OK, and I had a 50% failure of the cameras in the first 24 hours.

I would say unlikely to happen, make it $150 and B/W okay and it's possible.

I would say unlikely to happen, make it $150 and B/W okay and it's possible.

So, using my criteria above, what should I expect to pay for a "reasonable" camera, and which vendors are recommended?

Thanks

You want either a full on box camera or an outdoor dome (probably vandal proof to get the weatherproof factor). I have a vandal dome thats a true day/night thats what I would consider budget but it's not really what I would consider close you your budget.

For brands I suggest Panasonic and GE, if you apply the right specs to either of those manufacturers you'll be satisfied.

I have the exact setup that you are looking for. I would be happy to supply you with login ability to check out my camera's. I would also be happy to send you some sample images if that is better.

I have a vacation home that I visit when I am able to. I want to be able to see the same things that you have mentioned. I have eight camera's around the outside of the house. There are six Mace CAM53CIR camera's and two Mace CAM66CIR camera's. The 53's do a very good job on the areas that are smaller and the 66's do a really good job on the larger areas. I have a motion activated security light in the back that enables the CAM53CIR camera that is watching the backyard area to see really well at night when the light is activated. There is a barn about 65 feet from the camera and when the security light turns on you can see it very clearly. The security light contains two 75 watt halogen bulbs. All the camera's hide very well under the eaves of the house.

The CAM53CIR camera's were about $115 each from Amazon. The CAM66CIR camera's were about $150 from Amazon as well. The

Let me know if I can get you any other information or answer any questions.

Good Luck!

stay away from Mace.....................and yesy there are other camera's out there under 100 that work fine for your app. I can hook ya up with the IR bullets I use; super, IR, 12vdc. no bells or whistles but they work.

Mace? I put them on the same level as eclipse equipment. one step above Sams in quality. Everything I ever tried from them ended up dead or less than able to handle. I've tried the same camera's mentioned and they both had problems out of the box. i have a PTZ from them that is in Idaho and freezes quickly even though the heater fan is supposed to keep it cozy. Tech support or RMA support? nothing but bad on that also as I always got my credit card info passed no problems but seemed to had to call them 10000 times to get a RMA extablished. my experiences were back when Mace was acquiring......so things may have changed but I am not willing to live that situation again as I would have to hire someone to remain on thier butt.......just my opinion!!!

PM me for the WEB site/supplier I use for the cams. I don't make anything over this just incase that is questioned here.

I usually push expensive cams on clients that require that level of camera. Home owners are fine with cheaper bullets/specs based on financial restraints...not everyone can afford a 500 dollar camera.

VST_Man you are completely entitled to your opinion. I would feel the same way that you do if I experienced the same problems with a company. I would even be interested in knowing where you order you camera's from. If they are any different or better I would try one if I have a need in the future. I tried a couple of different camera's some expensive and some cheap when I first setup the system. The Mace camera's seem to do the best job for a very good price. There are better camera's available but I have had very good luck with the Mace camera's and I would buy them again.

I have had these 8 cameras running for quite sometime now. They are in a rather harsh area near the pacific north coast of California. There is a lot of salt in the air, rain, blowing wind and cold temperatures in the winter. In fact recently they all completely 100% survived a almost hurricane like storm just after Christmas. The winds were 50-75 mph with heavy rain. Currently the temperatures have been at or below freezing on and off for about 2 weeks now. Everything is running perfectly.

I have not had any bad experiences with Mace at all. I have called them to ask questions about different camera's and check specs. They seem to always answer the phone and provide the information that I need when I need it. There website has quite a bit of information as well. I don't buy directly from Mace though. I have purchased my camera's from an online retailer through Amazon's website. The service from the retailer has always been great as well. Shipping was fast and reliable and all the items have always arrived in perfect condition. I have always received exactly what I expected.

What ever rojhan decides to use I wish him good luck with his project.

Here are some sample images from two Mace CAM66CIR cameras.

cam8-daytime.JPG

cam8-nighttime.JPG

cam2-daytime.JPG

cam2-nighttime.JPG

Let me know if you need more information or have other questions.

Yes, there are better camera's available but for the price this camera provides a very good consistant quality image.

Hell if you consider MACE just buy it from alibaba and take the middle man out.

One of the things to consider too kg6mti is we see lots and lots of cameras. Your system may still be making you happy after 3 years of service but we look at many aspects before we sell a product. I can sell MACE stuff I just don't.

Hell if you consider MACE just buy it from alibaba and take the middle man out.

One of the things to consider too kg6mti is we see lots and lots of cameras. Your system may still be making you happy after 3 years of service but we look at many aspects before we sell a product. I can sell MACE stuff I just don't.

CollinR,

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that people should only shop Mace camera's. I am sure that you can offer better camera's from other manufactures. And you are correct if you are a CCTV professional you have much more experience with hardware than I do.

The requirments in the original post stated that rojan wanted to keep the price per camera at or below $100 per camera. From my experience the Mace camera's fit the requirement perfectly. Sometimes it important to make certain that the requirements of the customer are met. But sometimes the customer needs some education as well.

Thanks.

Would you happen to have any video of someone walking onto your porch at night? I have a feeling you'll have some difficulty identifing them, you can tell from that picture that the mailbox roughly twice the distance a person would be is washed out to the point you can't see the door seam on the right side. I'm thinking a face at half that distance would be basically a white oval, maybe see eyebrows.

In BW and $150 it could be alot better, so much so thats why we are saying what we are. Those cameras work okay indoors in large rooms for overviews. If you get very close to the camera at all it's IR washes out the picture. For a little more you can have a remote IR emitter that doesn't bounce the light right back into the camera. Also the IR doesn't last as long as the camera so it's nice for them to be easy to replace.

My customers often choose to go elsewhere the first time, I used to have a jingle about when the Ebay junk doesn't cut it anymore. I do as many retrofits as installs due to this.

It also depends on the goal too, CCTV as a deterent, observation, evidence capture, specific evidence needs, identification, recognition. In order of difficulty and basically price too.

Would you happen to have any video of someone walking onto your porch at night? I have a feeling you'll have some difficulty identifing them, you can tell from that picture that the mailbox roughly twice the distance a person would be is washed out to the point you can't see the door seam on the right side. I'm thinking a face at half that distance would be basically a white oval, maybe see eyebrows.

In BW and $150 it could be alot better, so much so thats why we are saying what we are. Those cameras work okay indoors in large rooms for overviews. If you get very close to the camera at all it's IR washes out the picture. For a little more you can have a remote IR emitter that doesn't bounce the light right back into the camera. Also the IR doesn't last as long as the camera so it's nice for them to be easy to replace.

My customers often choose to go elsewhere the first time, I used to have a jingle about when the Ebay junk doesn't cut it anymore. I do as many retrofits as installs due to this.

It also depends on the goal too, CCTV as a deterent, observation, evidence capture, specific evidence needs, identification, recognition. In order of difficulty and basically price too.

CollinR,

I will take a look at what I have for night video of a person entering the porch. The main purpose of that camera is to give a visual of the front portion of the house. The camera's in my case are more for observation rather than facial recognition. In my situation the camera's are more so that I can take a peek from time to time and see that everything is ok at the house. This house is over 200 miles from my main home in a small town near the coast.

You do make some good points though. I may in the near future expand the system and move that camera to just above the door and change to a B/W with the IR emitter to the other side. Thank you for the idea's.

The camera's have already been able to provide a picture of a possible burglar to the local police department. I was able to see the person on video dropping something in the yard near my house. When I called the local police and asked them to check it out they found burglary tools, a hammer, screw driver and black leather gloves. The police officer that I talked to said he believed that one of the officers had seen the person in the area and spooked him. The burglar then ditched his tools just in case the police were able to stop him. The funny part was the camera on that side of the house can't be seen unless you know it is there and are looking for it. As the burglar walked passed it he removed his hooded sweatshirt that he was using to cover his face and basically smiled for the camera. I sent that picture to the local police and they used it to look for the guy. The camera that took the picture is the one of the ones that I posted a sample image from but not the camera that has a visual of the porch with the mailbox.

Thanks.

I ended up buying some cheap cameras that are giving me acceptable quality. As stated, not for "identification", but for observation. They are only 1/4" sensors and definitely "consumer" brand, but give me the opportunity to at least have something in place.

I'm going to finish building the computer/network/DVR and get that working the way I want with at least usable images from the cameras. I can then upgrade the cameras as/if needed.