*UPDATED * Upgraded to version 8.1, NO Geovision works

I just upgraded a customer to 8.1 from 7.02 after checking to see if their hardware qualified via the geo tool. The install went fine but after its done not one of the Geo software programs will load (GV800.exe, mediaman, viewlog, etc..) It won't start auto or manual. When you open task manager and run gv800.exe it doesn't even show up, just nothing happens. I am stumped! What should have taken an hour has got me into it for 5 hours already. The system is 200 miles away, and I am working on it with PC anywhere, but nothing seems to work. I did a system restore to version 7.02 and it was fine then I tried to upgrade again version 8.1 and deleted the install folder and now I can't retore back to V7 either. Ideas?

I got the system working. I deleted all geo files, installed 7.05, then upgraded to 8.01 then upgraded to 8.1 and its working great. Perhaps the version 7 was just too old to upgrade to 8.1 from. At least it's fixed.

Yikes.. I just did that same thing.. Know where I can find the 7.x that I can try? Or if I delete it all, can I fresh install 8.1?

There is a cleanup script in the file in this post.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7608

Uninstall all Geo software first and delete folders (as the Cleanup script does). I suggest installing CCleaner and using the Issues tab to then clean the registry; also use the Cleaner tab.

Next, uninstall the drivers.

Goto the 8.1 Drivers folder, click on DrvInst.exe, and remove.

[at this point you could also uninstall the codecs if you want, in Add Remove Programs - though should not be necessary]

Restart the PC .. dont install the drivers when it asks, close the New Hardware Found window when it pops up on start up. Wait a few minutes until that has gone away.

Goto the 8.1 Drivers folder, click on DrvInst.exe, and install.

When it is installing don't click anything, the New Hardware Found window will go away by itself.

Once they are installed, Restart the PC once again.

Once it has restarted, verify the drivers are listed in the device manager without any errors, and they are the correct ones.

If they are good, now Install Gv8.1. Restart when it has finished.

Rory

I got the system working. I deleted all geo files, installed 7.05, then upgraded to 8.01 then upgraded to 8.1 and its working great. Perhaps the version 7 was just too old to upgrade to 8.1 from. At least it's fixed.

I had very similar problem. Task Manager showed me GV600.exe started up and closed in just 2 seconds. No error messages. Uninstall, delete files and drivers, install again = no result. Replace install = no result.

After 2 hours I found a solution - with passuninstall I erased my password database and suddenly everything worked like a charm.

I blindly went registry diving, and file deleting, and saved only a few .ini files. Did my original 7.02 CD, then 8.01, then 8.1 and no issues, works now.

Doing all that then 7.02 to 8.1 straight away, no worky still.. wierd...

Anyhoo, I am up on 8.1 now and all seems fine.. Though I did loose all my cam settings and AOI's.. But they needed refining anyway

Man I wish Geo would upgrade their InstallShield ..

Ive had so many errors trying to get my Auto Install EXE working with it..

From what I can see it is InstallShield version 3.0 and InstallShield are on version 12 right now ..

They have the version from Stirling Inc which by the looks of it was bought by the current Company, MacroVision. Also any searches on google for Sterling Inc and InstallShield go as far back as Windows 95!

Basically the setup program for v8.1 (probably earlier versions also) is unstable and the Geo Management Department should know of this, also the Release Engineers took out all the other switches, though due to the age of it, it may have not had any switches back then to begin with!

I realise they are not using .Net and this may be a reason for not upgrading to the newer version, but they could always choose another installer packager such as Wise, Nullsoft, etc if thats the case. Its really sad actually, they put all the time into making the program stable, yet the setup is rubbish. BTW the uninstaller switches work fine.

Rant over ..

PS. here is a Geo Remover EXE i put together yesterday ..

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7608

Helps clean the system a little before Re-installation.

There appears to be an issue with some upgrades of GeoVisio installations. If you previously have had 8.01 running on a system then 8.1 should work OK. If you are experiencing problems like the one mentioned above, then try the following:

This is a patch file released by GeoVision

Simply copy the PassDll.dll file to the GeoVision folder (e.g. C:\GV800).

http://www.ezcctv.com/geovision/patch/PassDll.zip

Man I wish Geo would upgrade their InstallShield ..

Ive had so many errors trying to get my Auto Install EXE working with it..

From what I can see it is InstallShield version 3.0 and InstallShield are on version 12 right now ..

Helps clean the system a little before Re-installation.

Can you repost Geo Remover, i have upgraded from 7.x to 8.2 and now geovision does not work