Dror

CCTV for my private car?

Hi everyone!

Great forum and from what I've read so far there are a lot of people with experience writing, which today often isn't very common in forums.

To me as a person, I'm from Germany and pretty much never had much to do with CCTV. I just got recently interested because I had a traffic accident which wasn't my fault but I now have problems proving it, as I didn't have any witnesses in my car while the other driver had some buddies in his car, who obviously stick together and try to make it look as if it was my fault.

Anyways, as also some of my friends had similar cases I want to install a CCTV in my car to prevent such problems in the future.

Now I can just simply not find any solutions for private persons who don't need it for their bus/truck motor pool, but just for a regular private car.

Of course I used Google and also the search engine of the forum, but as I said I can't find something that suits my requirements.

I'd be more than happy if any of you could tell me about a ready-made solution or if such doesn't exist how I could build one myself. Which camera and which DVR would you recommend?

Should I use one that works with a HDD or will it not be shock-resistant enough in case of an accident?

Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend

Your easiest solution would be a portable mini personal type recorder. Maybe leave the cameras hard wired into your car and you can take your personal recorder in/out as you please.

Its going to cost you something like $1000 for recorder and $200 for the cameras.

The way I see it you can only put one at the front & one behind the vehicle. What if the accident happens on the left or right?

I bought one for my customer from iLinkPro.com which was an OEM unit from Avermedia and so far my customer loves it... I know Avermedia has location in German but the their German website does not have it listed how ever US / Taiwan web site has it list so I am sure you can shoot them an email and they can recommend where you can buy that unit from.

http://www.aver.com/dvr/eb1304mob.html

I bought one for my customer from iLinkPro which was an OEM unit from Avermedia and so far my customer loves it... I know Avermedia has location in German but the their German website does not have it listed how ever US / Taiwan web site has it list so I am sure you can shoot them an email and they can recommend where you can buy that unit from.

Thank you very much.

Which camera(s) did you use for your customer? How did you mount them?

@Joebo: I didn't really understand your post. Why shouldn't I be using auto-iris lens?

Just remember to keep it charged and attend to the memory when it fills up

Only half serious - but I'm sure something could be adapted.

i still haven't found a solution.

I'd also be ready to invest a serious sum if somebody could develop such a system for me.

please contact me via PM if you are interested

you will need a least front and rear cams and a GPS speed etc overlay

on the video to help with proof

my 2c

z

The answer might be to look at the setups that motorbike riders use. Lots of options for helmet cams and such. Since each one is self contained, you would need one for each view that you want.

Maybe something like this (which can take an external video feed)

[edit by mod-store link removed]

Or better still

[edit by mod-store link removed]

Theres a licenced product to be made here!

BMW, here I come.

Shock proof 4 channel DVR in the boot.

GPS overlay using a POS device.

1 Wireless cam to take shots after the accident (skid marks, close up of driver and licence plate)

All possible and straight forward with budget devices.

Or stick a 6 foot pole on yer roof with a 360 degrees Arecont megapixel cam.

I imagine the reason this product doesnt exist, is that you would be recording public places.

Which needs special government permission in most countries.

I imagine the reason this product doesnt exist, is that you would be recording public places.

Which needs special government permission in most countries.

Not to hijack the thread, but does this include EU countries? Got a link to a source? I'm just curious because in the US you can record most anything in public view.

Or better still

That thing is a POS, I had a client contract me to redesign those so they worked decently.

Not to hijack the thread, but does this include EU countries? Got a link to a source? I'm just curious because in the US you can record most anything in public view.

EU. Spain and UK in personal experience with Police.

All those cameras London is reknowned for have permission from the DTI (Department of Trade and Industry).

http://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/for_organisations/topic_specific_guides/cctv.aspx

That thing is a POS, I had a client contract me to redesign those so they worked decently.

That's kind of vague. What part was not adequate?

I just sold my Nissan Maxima that had 4 cameras in it linked to a standard home 4ch dvr. The cameras were front(zoom), front(wide), driver and rear.

The biggest problems were to do withthe vibration/heat in the car (fixed by using laptop hard drive and vibration proof mounts) and the power (when to turn onthe recording, when to off etc, had to use a home-buit power-off timer circuit)

My front camera started off as a cheap bullet but the smearing under direct headlights/sun was too much. I got a cheap auto-iris camera and found it worked better but didn't have an IR filter so the colors were messed up in the day.

I'm in the process of installing cameras in my new car. Because the car is new it's going to be a no-drill installation. I have also learned that while hom-brew stuff can be made to be reliable eventually, name brand off-the-shelf stuff is reliable out of the box. What a concept.

The front camera is a Toshiba IK-6410A Day-Night camera with auto-iris lens. It's going to be the front/zoom camera. I'll run the lens at about 8 or 9mm, close enough that cars appear in proper perspective, ie not fisheye. My rear and driver cams will be the same as before, cheap OEMs but their function is simple and I'm not asking much of them.

I've ordered an EB1304-MOB DVR and it'll be here soon. I'll give you a full review later. My hope is that all the circuitry that I built for power handling/poweroff timer for save-to-disk/voltage regulation/crank dropout protection etc is all going to be part of the standard function of this new DVR. It even has a clean power source for the cameras.

I'll be running all RG59 /BNC ends and will do the witing installation by removing allt eh seats and interior trim again to ensure the wires are run in a safe and permanent way.

My biggest issue right now is the front camera cannot hide between the rearview mirror and the windshield like on the maxima. This new car (Legacy GT) has less space back there so the camera will be mounted either below the mirror (at the of risk blocking out a lot of my windshield OR making the passenger sun visor useless becuase it can't fold down) or down on the dashboard (at the risk of being very obvious to people outside the car, so I'll have to make a housing covered in dashboard material so it won't look out of place.) Down on the dash is in direct sun too.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a spare passenger-side visor and cutting/edging about 6" off the left side to give me space for the camera really high up against the roof. This will allow the camera to be out of my line of sight (safety), out of sight of people outside the car (security) but still allow my wife to use her sun visor (I don't have to sleep on the sofa).

Try these links as i think they may help you...

[edit by mod - store link removed]

This is for a mobile 12vdc dvr typically used in police applications, this unit has GPS information overlay and has available a USB cradle for video offload as well as shock proof mounting racket

try this link for some bulletproof cameras that will work wonderfully for you

[edit by mod - store link removed]

this camera truly is bulletproof and can be ordered with different lenses than the standard 6mm

let me know if thi shelps you or if you go with these units....

i have researched these pieces but have not placed any in real world situations, but i want to go after the police departments in several towns around me that are adding several new cars per year

hope everything works out well

kelly patterson

281-217-0809

I also built a system about 5 years ago that fit into my Nissan Xterra, for the same accident evidence reasons as the original poster. It was the development of this system over two years that got me interested in video surveillance systems as a hobby, and to a lesser extent my current job.

I'll have to say an automotive environment is a very difficult application for all the reasons alluded to in previous posts - stealthiness, the wide range of lighting present, the conflicting goals of a wide range of view with the desire to be able to identify license plate numbers, automatic starting and stopping of the system, stowing the equipment in the car, protecting the footage in an accident, and providing it to law enforcement in some useful form if needed.

I started off with two well-used swap-meet monochrome 24VAC box cameras - one front and one rear with about 4mm lenses, a home-made switcher, a 110VAC consumer VCR and 12v inverter - mostly this was a miserable failure all of you could easily predict. I later moved to 4 monochrome board cameras with 3.6 mm lenses feeding a B+W quad and a 12V VCR. That gave me 170 degrees of low-res view front and rear but at that time I still hadn't fully understood the effects of daytime IR on unfiltered monochrome cameras, or how to resolve it.

I was never happy with the system but as an unexpected consequence I did find that it made me a most courteous and careful driver. Plus the audio track had nothing but the embarrassment of me cursing at other drivers and talking to myself.

If I had to do it again I might try two day/night Arecont 3130's with 4mm lenses and a 12V-powered PC to do the recording, probably three grands worth of kit and perhaps not stuff you would want to leave in your car.

It might be easier to carry a disposable film camera and a small voice memo recorder.