rory

March Networks - anyone tried THIS brand??

Yes. Its been about 1 year. Hear they now have a nice POS.

PA

POS, or Point Of Sale?!!

Rory

Yep. I'm not sure where they are on price. I would guess on the mid to high end.

compared to Kalatel/dedicated? Any ideas.

In short, hardware is great, software still needs work.

On the HW side, its very easy to replace drives or the entire unit. One very nice feature is the separated rear panel. If the unit fails, turn a key on the front of the unit, remove the main guts, replace the unit and lock the key. No need to remove power, video cables, network cables or anything like that. Just like a docking station for a laptop computer. The LED's on the front of the unit are very nice as well.

I thought the software was a little confusing for the average technician. Menu and menu after sub-menu. It's geared very much toward the IT world. In fact, up until recently they did not have a local user interface. Everything had to be done from a computer via a phone line or network connection.

Video quality is pretty good in the native format but, when you try to stretch the image the video quickly deteriorates.

Their a company worth keeping your eye on because from what I'm told they have a lot of software and hardware engineers working on their digital products (50-60 people).

March Networks has a great suite of DVRs to choose from (small, medium, enterprise and mobile DVRs). The fact they are linux based DVRs shows they are serious about reliability and performance. The viewing and configuration software is windows based and with the available SDK can be integrated into just about any software requiring a video recorder.

The latest offering is the 3108 DVR (just like BMW the numbers stand for series and performance). This 8 channel mount on the wall panel box has more features than most higher end systems at a fraction of the cost. It can push a max of 60fps in performance configuration.

The nice thing about March Networks who make thier home in Canada is that they know networking. Their engineers are some of the industries best. The software suite is common to all platforms so you won't need separate software when you scale.

The DVRs are network agnostic, which mean they pretty much run over any type of network configuration and can scale from the slowest to the most demanding network bandwidth available.

Check the specs out with the DVR comparision chart:

http://www.marchnetworks.com/products/dvr_comparison.asp