johnnyjb

Coax preferences

Could any body give me a list (or link)of the main coaxial video cables and their good bad qualities and preferred uses

I hope this is not to much hassle

I'm pretty much a newbie around here, but I just found what I think is a great deal on RG59 coax.

It is Belden YR23930 75 Ohm RG59/U DS3 coax. 20 AWG solid copper center conductor, 95% tinned copper braid, plenum rated PVC jacket at .242 OD. There is a company out of Las Vegas selling this through eBay. Or you can do like I did and buy it outright from them for $100 (includes shipping!!) for a 1200' wood spool.

So far as I can tell, (I have not made any long runs yet) it works great, and at less than 9 cents a foot delivered the price is right!

BMS

I noticed Plenum is significantly more expensive.

What kind of applications would you use for Plenum.

I am doing an install where the majority cable will be outside on the beach.

What kind of lubricant, if any should I use on the end connections to prevent corrosion?

I noticed Plenum is significantly more expensive.

What kind of applications would you use for Plenum.

I am doing an install where the majority cable will be outside on the beach.

What kind of lubricant, if any should I use on the end connections to prevent corrosion?

The plenum is the area above suspended ceilings and sometimes the area below raised floors that is used as the return for air conditioning and heating. Plenum-rated cable is required when cables are run in those areas. It is a fire and smoke rating that minimizes flames and toxic fumes from being spread by the HVAC system.

In most cases, if the area above suspended ceilings is not used to return air to the HVAC system (say if there are separate return ducts), plenum-rated cable may not be required. You can tell by looking at the registers. If both the supply and return registers have ducts, the area is usually (but not always) not considered to be a plenum. If the return registers are just open into the area above the ceiling, you are required to use plenum-rated cable in most places.

As always, check your local building and/or fire codes to make sure. When in doubt, it is safer to use plenum-rated cable. This can protect the building's occupants in a fire and you from a lawsuit.

You can use silicon dielectric grease inside connectors and coax seal (a putty-like substance) on the outside of connectors to help prevent corrosion. Compression connectors are also good for outside use and if you use them you can dispense with the coax seal.

For outdoor use, either run the cable in conduit (metal emt preferred), or buy "direct burial cable", darned expensive but well worth the cost if you want something that will stand up to the elements.