I used install cctv but left before i got the whole trade learned but am confident all the same

My question is we always used 2 cores(i think) to Ptz for telemetry but once we used a 4 core system.What are the four cores for

I hope im making sense here

Hello, 2 wire connect with RS485 is for control to PTZ. Other coded wire connections usually are for alarm,data etc. functions, dependent on your device. Your term "cores" (UK) I take it refers to your wire.

You probably installed a PTZ with duplex serial communications so it could communicate it's current position, angle, zoom... back to the controller.

Yep RS232 PTZ connections typically have four wires (TX+, TX-, RX+, RX-)

RS485 connections just have two wires + / - or A / B

On camera's which can do both RS232 and RS485 you typically connect RS485+ to TX+ and RX+ and RS485- to TX- and RX-

Is two core used for just basic moving of camera and 4 core is for more advanced information i.esending lacation of camera as stated above 4 core would only be used in big jobs i assume

rs232 can be 2 or more cores (tx for transmit, rx for receive, and optional hardware handshaking lines if needed)

rs485 can be 2 or 4 wire depending on type.

RS485 can be used over greater physical distances than rs232, so its used more for cctv due to cameras tending to be never near the head end.

A well designed rs232 system for example could communicate just as well with 2 wires as with 4, as it can use software handshaking (xon/xoff) to slow down comms when one device is not ready. So its possible to do pretty much any job with either 2 or 4 wires - but only if the equipment supports it......