osity

Recording computer monitors

Hello everybody....

Has anyone had experience recording CRT computer monitors?

It's for a retail environment. We are having the strangest glitches occur lately and I would like to videotape what is going on the screen when things occur.

Is refresh an issue?

Thanks again.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but AITech makes some VGA to NTSC converters that connect between a computer and monitor then convert the output to a composite RCA or S-video connection.

I was thinking of just pointing a camera at a computer monitor from the ceiling. Not sure if this would work as I havent had a chance to try it.

Yes it's is a refresh rate thing, not too much you can do about it that I know of. Progressive scanning camera maybe. You might be able to speed up the refresh rates of the monitors but I doubt enough.

how about some screen recording software?

or is this a long term thing?

Ive had no real issues with a CRT TV, nor LCDs, so perhaps either switch it to an LCD, or use a TV as a second cloned monitor, and put the camera on that.

If your talking about pointing a camera at the screen to record it (instead of just recording the video directly) then the flicker that can occur due to the screen refresh can be avoided by altering the cameras shutter speed.

Many (decent) cctv cams have settings to enable different shutter speeds, try a few till you get a good pic.