kensplace

Access control on the cheap

Decided to stick a electronic lock on a door, mainly to learn more about access control, as it seems a easy (apart from the fitting side) but financially rewarding industry. Course the stuff Im using isnt pro stuff, but thought I would post my findings, so other people who are thinking of buying a access control kit from ebay are aware of the pitfalls.

Picked up a cheap lock electromagnet lock release, and bought a rfid door controller from ebay (were talking about 20 quid for the lot here). The lock release is standard, just a small electromagnet that pulls a small catch that allows the pivot to move, hence allowing the door to open.

The rfid reader is cool to play with, it can store 500 users and allows either keyfob or card (both rfid) or keyfob / card + passcode, or passcode alone.

For the price the RFID part works great, the problem is the unit is made out of cheap plastic, and you could just rip it off the wall and apply a battery to the lock wires which are clearly marked.....

Even worse, you could just cut the power, and re-apply it, as the stupid thing automatically unlocks the door when power is first applied, then locks it again a second or so later...

Bad design.. No wonder they are on ebay so cheap...

But it suits my purpose, keeps the kids out of the room, and allows me in even when I forgot where I put the keys.

I would not put it on a external door though, no way, far to insecure, neither would I rely on it to protect anything valuable.

we are just getting into access control and have gone to using a locksmith to actually installing the door hardward electric strike etc. What we are finding on commercial stuff is you have to be careful as some of the opening devices can be really expensive. On some of the school doors whe have done the door hardware to electrify the latches etc runs 700-800 dollars not to mention the rip off prices for the "manufactures' power supply" but that is how we have to quote stuff as the liability if a device fails could be a major problem.

ken,

usually we install the controller indoor and another auxiliary reader outdoor, this to prevent someone to by pass the controller from outside, most controller come with a tamper switch that can trigger the alarm, or you may install one yourself

ben

Jerome,

What locks are you installing that you have to install the "Manufacturers" Power supply. If you are speaking of an electrified crashbar, Altronix has a new power supply out that will handle 2. Some manufacturers electrified crashbars will say you have to use there power supply, i.e. "Von Duprin" the power supply from them is very expensive. You can use the Altronix "Strike It" series that has more features and comes with all the options the Von Duprin power supply does for half the price. Oh did I mention you can control to electrified crash bars with an in-rush current of 16 amps each. go to www.altronix.com to get the cut sheet.