Kamei

Can i use RG62 cable for cctv installations

I have here a lot of RG62 cable but can i use this as i think the impedance is not 75 ohm but 93 ohm. Would it make a big difference.

Thanks for reply.

I would suggest some RG59 solid center and copper braid ..

That said, I did use RG6 aluminum years ago when i started out, and that video is still great to this day. I was probably just lucky though as ive seen others use it with horrible results..

Yah..RG59/U is the best, but remember the solid center and the copper braid... cos some of the cable supplier with propose other material of RG59 which is not so suitable to be use.

if you are pulling longer than ~200m, you have to use RG11/U instead of RG59/U.

Your RG62 is very small diameter cable isn't it?

If so, for very short runs (jumper cables) will be all it will be good for. It is 75 ofm AFAIK.

RG-62 cable is 93 ohms. It is not suitable for CCTV unless the impedance is matched with baluns at both ends.

The absolute maximum distance figures for 75 ohm cable are:

RG-59 - 750 ft.

RG-6 - 1,000 ft.

RG-11 - 1,500 ft.

These distances can be extended with cable compensation. With cable compensation (like the Pelco CM9760-MDA has), you can theoretically double those distances.

RG-62 cable is not recommended for the use of CCTV. You will get terrible image quality. I would suggest using RG-59U. This seems to do the trick every time.

i used to pull rg62a/u all the time for computer networks, but i've also tried using it for video.. like others have said, it will degrade your signals badly, even on short runs. these days, i'm not sure what it's good for......

I'm not a professional, just a home user.

I use RG6 for all CCTV video signals throughout my house (and my car). I also use short pigtails of RG59 for the last 8" or so because it's not as stiff and works to reduce stress on the connection at the camera/DVR.

If I had to start over I'd run the power with the coax so I could power the cameras from a UPS in case of power outage (not uncommon here in Central Ohio). Right now they rely on power outlets near the camer location.

In case anyone wants to know just how badly the signal will be degraded...

I've got a 12v b/w chip camera running on about 200m of RG-62. The picture is good enough for me. Since its only a 380 chip camera, any degradation / variance from normal is hard to tell.

I've also got a 12v color chip camera on 150m of RG-62, then 50m of cat5e with baluns to the head end.

Is it the best? no.

And with copper prices the way they are, the fact that I just found 11 RG-62 cables to an area of the store where I had none, and now can put cameras up... damn near priceless.

BLUF: It works. But yes, RG-59 would be best.

Tangent: Weird thing is that Geovision won't accept some of my RG-59 cameras, but will accept the 200m RG-62.

It really varies, some people have decent results, some dont. Its just another obstacle to deal with, when there IS a problem with the Camera's Video. So best to use the correct cable the first time; if possible. If you cant get siamese, no worries, you can still buy RG59 Solid Copper Center and Outer Copper Braid, from most stores that sell wire, such as one that caters to Electricians. If you can find Copper RG6 then great