sal

Topaz Access Control (GE)

We've been carrying the Topaz Line from GE and it seems nice. We are installing a demo in our office to play with more. Any experiences with this system. The config seems really simple and the software seems to have any feature I can think of.

Heh hey there Sal... i might as well comment

We've been using the GE system for about a year ourselves (buying from you guys as you know).

Its not a bad system, but its not easy to program. You need a dedicated computer always running their software to log activity. Its kinda a pain to setup on the network because you hafta keep changing dip switches. Your limited to a max of 4 readers/outputs per system (which as you know requires you to buy another unit).

We've been playing with the IEI system and at first I didn't like the construction but after installing it today I can say its a lot better. It runs Linux and doesnt require a computer at all, its got its own built in web server and its 100% web-managed. You want more doors, you just add them on with a card. You can add up to 7 more cards. Expandability is great, you just buy a box with a node controller, instead of the whole control box/etc...

It'll be our new access control to use over the GE. The GE was nice but like I said, things we did NOT like were max of 4 readers/outputs and the interface was horrid, took forever to make changes.

Been using Topaz for about 5 years or so in various locations, as well as it's bigger brother Diamond II. The D2 does have different panels that can support up to 16 readers, but it's a dealer only item. I'm not a huge fan of the web interface systems (That includes the IEI eMerge as well), but for a few years that's all I had been doing. They're slow, and clunky. We recently demo-ed something from a company called RS2 Tech, and it was pretty neat. They have several models, and they use the Mercury boards, so they fall into the open source category. The software was pretty nice, and relatively easy to work with. I don't know how the prices compare to Topaz, but it might be worth a look just to have another alternative. IEI also still has flavors of the HUBMax line, which is also a dencet, somewhat expandable option.

Figured id post another message on here because I just did a Topaz install today.

I did a two panel system. 4 Port as my main and 2 port as the secondary. It was for an elevator, but Im not setting it up as an ELEVATOR in the system (no need to, all the topaz does is grants access to use hte elevator buttons, and there are no door contacts, its strickly for elevator).

Install went, well easy enough. I had some issues since the elevator company wasnt providing me with low-power, so im still waiting on them to give me low power. Other then that, it was an easy install. Hardest part was figuring out how to connect the two systems using RS232... as I'm always the guy in the office programming the software rather then using the RS232, but now that I know how its a piece of cake.

Im STILL not a fan of the software. I had to load it onto my laptop and put the USB dongle on and its still slow to add access cards and the fact that I need a dedicated computer running, with the software running, in order to keep track of card swipes is something I don't like. Even if i use a normal computer people use everyday, i have to format it so that it has low security levels for the GE and people still continue to close the software... BUT on the other hand their software IS pretty easy to use. Its simple to configure readers. The IEI box is designed for a PROGRAMMER to use and can be kinda tricky if you don't label things properly... as I learned installing IEI.

I like the Topaz because its a smaller box, and easier to see whats going on in front of you (easy to read the circuits/etc...).

I don't like Topaz because its not as easy to program an IP, gotta change dip switches/etc... and if i want to add more cards after 4, i hafta add a new panel.

I like topaz because its a smaller box (probably because you cant add readers inside the box itself) and the overlay for the circuit board is nicely laid out.

Right now, I recommend both for my clients.

IEI for those who don't want a dedicated computer and want the ability to upgrade in the future without adding more boxes.

Topaz for my everyday systems that might have 8 doors or less and don't really plan to upgrade and need a smaller footprint at first.

It really depends on what my customer wants. Right now, if i had to say "which do you prefer" i'd honestly probably recommend the Topaz w/dedicated server, only because the software IS easier to use (despite it being a lot slower to use) and for an installation point of view, its easier for me to setup my contacts/readers because of the nice easy to see screen printed overlay.

www.brivo.com

Makes the topaz look like a toy. We've almost ran the topaz a few times but its very limited in terms of expansion, and yes, the dedicated computer is not fun!

Brivo offers a web hosted solution, allowing clients to log into a server to access their account. So far Brivo has it together more than most others we've used. Even Pelco's access control was running clunky software.

Interesting... i don't like the idea of hosting my access control stuff on another companies network... rather keep it 100% in house for my clients and let their own box run as the server (example: IEI runs Linux on their controller which stores everything... yes its a little slow booting up, about 45 seconds, but its stored on site in the same box)

A great concept don't get me wrong, just not for me... if i chose to do it all in-house id be in the same boat as Topaz, adding a panel to add on more readers rather then simply adding on an I/O or Reader board into the box itself.

Thats the one thing I like about IEI (besides web-based interface hosted locally), expansion boards right in the box, i don't hafta add another box somewhere taking up real-estate.

Most of our access clients are in NYC, space is limited there, so the less I can install, the better... and a lot of them don't want it hosted elsewhere (that means monthly fees that they shouldnt need)

Brivo offers a local box as well, allowing the clients IT department to manage the device.

However, the Brivo OnsiteSE device is great, single socket layer out on the network, no managing necessary, 12 months of archiving, automatic updates, etc...the list goes on.

This day in age, your selling IP products for the most part, and when your selling IP products, your selling to the IT department. When you can turn up a viable IP solution, that they don't have to manage on the network, its a win win situation for the most part. I do understand its not for everybody.

Did I mention Brivo won SIA awards last year at ISC West, in both "integrated software" and "Judge choice for commercial"?

Bought a new/old stock Topaz TPZ-SYS-A. Powered it up and tried using a crossover to connect with no success. Changed the switches,etc.

I noticed that the status leds never come on, should they on power up?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Steve

I've done systems using the IEI E-merge, which seems to work fairly well, and then we recently got on board with RS2, which I am really starting to like. You can get a basic system (up to 8 doors) going with their Lite software version, which is priced well (free).

I just did a RS2 system with a couple of the Mercury EP-1501 controllers, and the Sargent Wi-Fi standalone locks, and it had a little bit of a learning curve with the Wi-Fi portion, but overall, I'm quite happy with the system, as is the customer (the important part!).