kake

Recommendation – 802.11 IP camera setup with central storage

Hey all

Looking for some recommendations for some 802.11 IP cameras that I can store on a central server. I’ve got 8 cameras in total that I need to be able to display at least all 8 at the same time from a PC; very real possibility of the camera install base expanding so I want to be ready for that. Client software or web page for access is fine. Storage on the cameras is a very nice to have but I’m just fishing to see what’s out there for that.

Low end to mid range pricing; no enterprise solution needed here

(Although I'd love to find me a big fat Enterprise Customer )

Hi

I would suggest you take a look at the Panasonic BLC 30

Low to mid price range, pan tilt and zoom, in built motion detection and has web page for access. The panasonic software is also well priced and has an unlimited license to allow further camera expansion using the same license.

Hope this helps!

Hello kake,

Just like cod30 said, the Panasonic BLC-30 is a good camera. If you are on a tight budget you can get decent D-Link cameras that include free recording software. The software only works for up to 16 cameras. Their DCS-3220G is a good camera.

If you are looking to jump up to some better quality, I would look into Axis cameras. Check out their 207W. They do not include software so you will need to get that on the side. I usually like to suggest Milestone software to my customers considering it is very reliable. It can get costly though so check out the price and if you need other software solutions, check out this page http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/softwarecompanies.html

Hope that helps!

I would recommend you focus on the server not the camera. Server software can use many different cameras. So you want something that can take a mix of cameras as time goes on. You don't want to end up with a camera that requires a specific piece of software to operate.

I am using DVTel and the server and client software is very good, well designed and bullit proof. (I have an enterprise IT background not CCTV.) however I am looking at different brands of encoders at the moment. I am sure that several of the other severs are very good as well.

DVtel do have three server levels and they realy make their money off the encoder and camera conectivity. So for low quantities of cameras they are very cheep.

Also if you are looking at IP you should be thinking Client/Server software. Not a single PC. Again the licencing for clients is very reasonable.

I have used a couple others myself and there is a lot to choose from. I too have an IT background. VideoProtein is great for the small business as well as the enterprise, so is MileStone. IQInvision makes a great megapixel camera that you can record directly to the camera. There is a lot to choose from.