moe

Under Carpet Fish Tape Techniques

I think I'm going to be running some wire under a carpet. Any tips? Also, why do they make these things in only 25' lengths?

i dont do residential installs but i did run some cable in my old condo and had to run in the carpet - go under the molding if you can because the carpet padding will start to roll up a bit when pulling cable under or over it - it becomes a real b*tch - but then again i dont think i had much patience with it... goto home depot and get some wire fish rods - in the electric area but only use one 5ft - rod at a time but u can connect 3

good luck

pg

goto home depot and get some wire fish rods - in the electric area but only use one 5ft - rod at a time but u can connect 3

Do you have a link on what these rods look like? I've been to my local home depot many times, but only saw wire snakes. Thanks.

EDIT:

Ah, wait. Are they the same type rods as the "RoyRods"?

Home Depot sells them?

...but only use one 5ft - rod at a time but u can connect 3

How would I use one at a time if I have a 50 ft run?

For a run that long you might have to pull up the carpet off the tack strip, run your wires, then get your self a carpet kicker and put the carpet back on the tack strip. I've done this several times. Make sure you notify your client of your plans of pulling up the carpet. What about wireless?

I slit the carpet and stitch it back with fishing line. If the carpet has shag that is. If it's glued to the slab you are borked.

Also you can pull the mouldings and drill into the wall behind them, notch the drywall so the moulding goes back nicely.

Also you can pull the mouldings and drill into the wall behind them, notch the drywall so the moulding goes back nicely.

Yeah, I was thinking of using WireTracks

I think I'm going to be running some wire under a carpet.

I wouldn't suggest running wire under carpet, granted it's only coax and low voltage, but you will notice a lump where the wire goes under the carpet, and will sometimes get bunching on the padding. Once the padding bunches, it normally means lifting the carpet to fix the padding. A better way I found that normally works is to push the wire between the carpet and baseboard. Normally there's enough space for it to squeeze in under the baseboard. Other then that, lift the carpet off the tackless and lay it as close to the tackless as possible. Normally you don't need a carpet kicker to put the carpet back into place since it's already stretched. Just don't pull too much off at a time.