sodagar

suggestions for long length cables

Hi every one,

I have a project where almost 18 cameras are to be installed .9 of them are speed domes and rest are static, for each camera 3to 4 kilometers of cable will be recquired (from camera to Dvr). It is not possible to put any line amplifier in between the cables to boost the signals.

Which cables will be suitable for such lengths, (video cable, cable for PTZ keyboard cotroller,and power cable 12v dc.)Suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Video - direct bury CAT5e cable, jell filled, with active Baluns

Power? can you power at the camera? If yes, power is not an issue.

PTZ control - I'd use Maxstreams Extender 900Mhz RS-232 (4-wire) to RS-485 (2-wire) converter radio's. Install one transciever at the DVR and one at each PTZ. 900 Mhz can go 20 - 40 miles, depending on antenna's used.

If I had line of sight and the money, I'd do the video wirless also. Add some solar panels and you'd be 100% self sustaining, without any wires.

Thanks for the suggession, I don't think I'll be able to get jell filled cat5e cable,and 900Mhz transciever from the market, if I use cat6 cable for both will it work.

Its not so much the cable (but you do need to listen to the advice given and get cable suitable for burial, or its you business rep that will end up being buried in the long run) its the transmission down that cable that you need to worry about.

If you get suitable cable, a 12vdc power supply will never go that distance, no matter what cable you get - you would need to either power locally, or transmit a LOT more than 12v so after the voltage loss 12v finally gets to the camera.

Signal wise, you would need a heck of a good amp on your camera end, and ptz wise, either go up the coax route or rs485 but not sure on max distances for standard kit.

With distances like that, look into microwave but whatever route you go, it wont be cheap, unless your lucky on ebay

Sorry guys for late reply as I was out of the country for a project. The approximate distance of cable from the camera to dvr is bitween 2 to 3 kilometers.

On that distance CAT5 with active each side should just about get there, although you are at the higher end of the tolerance. I havent found active working very well beyond 3 KM, you will get a signal beyond that but I find the picture quality drops off. Unshielded Cat5E external cable in a duct.

Your alternative at the 3-4 KM and beyond distance is single mode fibre, you can bring video and telemetry and contact closure over the fibre. Multi-mode fibre has about the same range as active baluns, so I would go with single mode once I get to that distance. Watch the budget with the single mode, it could easily double your project cost.

For power, if you dont have power at the camera end I would run mains on an SWA cable, you may want to bring an extra circuit for lighting.

If you have power at the camera end you may want to look out for ground loop isolation issues. Although if you are using 12V DC you should be OK.

Sorry Guys for a very late reply, as I was busy in the same project.I was asked to do as many visits and develop a system. Now the actual position is, there are 43 cameras to be installed, out of which 23 are speed domes of various zooms, 10 static and 10 panning.

The length is less than 3KM, It is difficult to put a line amp in between cables, is RG11 suitable for video and cat 6 as ptz controller cable.

For that distance, your only options are fiber and wireless. Twisted-pair and coax just won't cut it. Even RG-11 coax is only suitable for maybe 2000 ft. (600m). The nice thing about fiber is that you won't need that many strands.

And power supplies will have to be local. There would be far too much voltage drop across any power cable.

Thanks for advice, but as far as wireless is concern, is there any system that can manage 43 cameras at the same time and can control ptz.

I think it is NVT that has a wole array of adaptors for fiber allowing you to run multiple cameras on one fiber and send control info also. You can problably use that type of equipment and get by with 12 or 24 strand always run extra strands as Someone always has use for it. We are running almost exclusivly single mode these days as the next big deal is giga or 10 gig speed and multi mode is more limited on the length you can run and achieve the higher data rates. Not really a big deal for what you are sending over but somone will want the extra strands, phone, data, video conference etc. Have you looked into leasing fiber from the phone co? sometimes they have dark pairs and are willing to give you a pretty good deal.

Thanks for advice, but as far as wireless is concern, is there any system that can manage 43 cameras at the same time and can control ptz.
You'd have to go to something like a mesh wireless system and IP cameras. Mesh systems can transmit up to 50Mb/sec or so. The number of cameras, their bit rate and frame rate would determine your limits.

In any case, fiber would probably be your best bet.

You'd have to go to something like a mesh wireless system and IP cameras. Mesh systems can transmit up to 50Mb/sec or so. The number of cameras, their bit rate and frame rate would determine your limits.

In any case, fiber would probably be your best bet.