antdickens

network hard drives

Hi

Has anyone tried using a networked HD to store Geo video files on. Do they have the speed to keep up?

To clarify i mean mapping a drive to the network hd from the geo pc and using it as a storage location within geo. So if the geo PC is stolen the hidden network hd still has evidence video on it?

Yes I've done a setup like that before, run a usb cable into an attic connected to a hard drive, didn't ever have a problem

Just make sure you get some type of hard drive cooling device to put the hard drive in

If your going over a network, I would suggest 1000mb network for transmission speeds

I've used mapped network drives as temporary solutions. 16 cameras with moderate motion and 100mbps seemed to keep up just fine.

Per a customer request, we built a windows xp machine and filled it with 250GB hard drives (2TB total). Connected it to a 100mbps switch and and have half the drives to one Geovision box and the rest of the hard drives to another Geovision box. Both the Geovision boxes were connected to the same switch. This system has been running for 3 years with one hard drive failure in that time.

Not the way I'd recommend doing things, but it was all we had at the time and its still going.