Instalz

Need some help

Hi guys. It's been a while since I've been here. I own a low voltage company. I do more 70 volt music systems, data and voice systems than cctv, so when I get them, I like to here from you guys.

I have a job that I'm bidding. It is a 2nd home. The customer wants cameras to cover the front, and back yards.

The front yard is approximately 30' from the house to the road, and 80' wide. The back yard is on the water/beach. From the back of the house to the water is 45', and the width is 102'.

The sides of the house/camp don't need coverage. This is a single story home. (ranch style)

My thinking is to place a camera under the eave at the far end of the house on both the front, and back, and point it toward the opposite side.

The back yard, and front will have a spot light with sensor. But I am looking for low light cameras. The cameras will be subject to extreme cold as this camp is on a lake.

The customer wants the ability to record from 2 to 4 weeks. I already have decided on the dedicated micros echo. There is no internet service so no need for ip cams.

The customer has a t.v. with a composite video input. It currently has a dvd player attached via this composite input.

I was thinking about possibly putting in an a/b switch so that when they want to watch video on the dvr they just switch to B, and when they want to watch a dvd, switch to a.

Does this sound possible?

Also, what cameras do you guys recommend? I need heaters/blowers. The customer doesn't need to see license plates or tatoos. He just wants to be able to see the basics.

Hopefully I've given you all a complete description. Thanks..

It's been a while since I've been here

What username did you visit under before then if its been a while since you have been here? Maybe we remember you?

When I came back the other day, I tried to loggin, and it wouldn't allow me too. I thought that my old username was also Instalz, but I could be wrong...

So I signed up again.

I remember when I used to frequent this forum (about a year or so ago, their was a member who I believe was from the Bahamas who was very helpful... For the life of me I can't remember his username..

I found my old username. It was liv4ree. It's been longer than I thought though. It was 2004. Man time flies... I'm going to dump my new username, and stick with my old...

For cameras....a little more info on budget would help, you could modulate a channel from your dvr to the TV, however maybe explain to your client the higher quality of a dedicated cctv monitor or does he have the need for realtime monitoring while he is using the TV....if so does the TV have pip...maybe dual tuner, need to know more info on the TV and costs you are working with to give you ideas and advice for gear....you stated the cams dont have to be for fine detail or I take it as mid line resolution but low light so depending on your budget/bid in proposal maybe some higher end bullet cams, how cold is the temp approx that your service would require, by "extreme" do you mean sub-zero?.....you may not need heaters... since you are a low voltage installer dont even have to get into the cable/cat and limited energy requirements you probaly have that covered already....since you asked for Rory perhaps he will respond ....more info would help

also....if you do go the switch route I would stay clear of the cheap thumb type and use powered one for example: http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemSpecs.aspx?productid=SVID410IR&c=US and use quality patch cable to lessen your loss...plus your clent would have the option to add other devices if needed as well and if you are employing the dedicated micros, (eco line) it has a spot monitor output and a main... if you modulate a channel instead of the switch your client would be able to just flip to the dedicated channel while watching tv and not have to mess with a added imput either way the quality will be limited using a older Direct View CRT TV....thinking bout cams again if you do decide to go box with enclosures heater/fans instead of bullets need to know more on your budget before exploring those options

Lolo Wolf thanks for the reply. I'll give some more info. The house is on a lake so with the wind, the temps could potentially be as low as -10 to -20.

The customer does not need to monitor real time. What it is, is there is a business across the street from his camp. We had a big snow storm a week or so ago, and the business took their snow, and filled his pontoon boat and driveway so he needed to hire a front end loader to remove the snow. During the summer months, the employees from this business take their breaks on his beach, and leave trash behind.

He has tried to speak with the owner of the business, but the guy just blows him off. Now he wants to install the cams.

The customer uses the camp a couple of times per month during the winter, and every weekend during the summer.

His t.v. that is in the living room is very old. No pip, no component input, just rf input, and a composite input.

The customer didn't tell me what his budget was. I'm going to submit my estimate based on what he needs.

If I have to put in a monitor than so be it. As I said, this is a camp. The land is big money as it's on the water, but the camp isn't a fortress or anything. Thanks again...

OK, if he wants to monitor the specific problem area where trespass is occuring (pushing snow onto his property and blocking his access) as well use the captured video for possible evidence you should go with quality cams and maybe he should consider a convert/low profile install inside as well since he already questioned the offending party and they blew him off they may trash his property after seeing his cams, Ive come accross a lot of stupid stuff with cameras and neighbor vrs neighbor disbutes....did he take any still photos of the offense? Did he file a complaint with the local PD, sounds like a rual area but there are local codes pertaining to what happened to him in most counties.... even with snow removal...from what I read in your post the need for a dedicated monitor is null cause he just wants to review the dvr so a hard switch or swap imput when he wants to review would work....would be a good idea to keep the DVR close to the tv, keep the cable as short as possible and for cams go for the problem area maybe use one for zoom into trouble spot and another for wider coverage as a backup....too bad you cant go with a remote setup cause sounds like he is only there once in awhile but I can assure you once he starts with cams he will open up a can worms you should tell him to go with a covert install of a cam on the interior as well...if you go box look at the panasonic D/N line with a quality enclosure heater/blower and good lens, maybe look into using a dedicated IR along with it, the smaller Extreme cams are excellent no need for enclosures Ive had good results with the EX 27 and EX 10 really depends on how much the client is willing to spend, there are some higher end bullets too that you might want to look at as well but I would stick with a branded high quality box/lens....pani, sanyo maybe toshiba....etc also tell him to put up a no tresspass sign that is visable near the problem area, might be subjected to placement and size to local ordinances, to insure his complaint if it ever gets to court.

Thanks Lolo Wolf. I will look into the panny tomorrow. My plan is to put the dvr on a shelf under the t.v., then use a simple a/b switch (composite) out of the dedicated micros into the switch, and out too the t.v.. This way he doesn't have to unplug his dvd player to plug in the dvr.

From what I understand, the customer went to the police, and they couldn't do much without proof.

A neighbor told my customer what had happened, but that neighbor has no interest in getting involved, so this is why the cams are being installed. Thanks again.

one more thought.... a litle trick here, in Montana there is a code pertaining to boundry markers (monument/civil hubs) it is a Misdemeanor to move or disturb one, if your client has one visible and they mess with it and he can get it on tape its hands down in court....did a covert install for a lawyer here to help settle a neighbor disbute that went back and forth for over a year...it worked in your case the bussiness owner may have more local clout and your client is not there all the time....local rual politics, run accross thoses issues a lot out here....use good cams and catch the bastards....good luck

Hello liv4ree....not sure why or what the other poster is doin but I am not associated with his business/website....have a good day

Hi guys. Just wanted to say thanks for your help. Here what I ended up specing for the job.

2 Extreme WZ18's

Dedicated micros ECO4CD160GB with cdrw 30PPS

What would you guys guess the record time would be? 2 weeks?

Thanks again

Hi there, I would have jumped in sooner but everyone else was doing such a good job Welcome back ..

I would stay clear of the WZ18 though, its just like the OEM True Day Night IR Varifocal Bullets, but cost more; actually I had nothing but bad experiences with those from the ones we tested here. Just take a look at the Nuvico's version and you should be good to go. Other OEM versions of this type of camera is about the same.

Ive used the WZ-18 as well the 16.... the wizkid bullet line is priced better but dont like their performance or the domes... but got better results with the Extreme EX line, I hope those will give you the results you are lookin for, I prefer the UF-100 with a dedicated extreme ps along with a good D/N box but most people dont want to spend the money.....good luck

Hi Rory... Thanks for the welcome. Which Nuvico would be comparible to the extreme unit?

Also, I am in the Northeast, and am looking for a distributor to buy from. I am basically paying retail from my current distributor. Thanks..

If anyone has disty info, you can email it to me..