alanb

Problem with Spot Monitor Camera

Hi:

We are struggling with an issue for a 15 store job we did. Each store was done about 1 year ago with the same 13-15 cameras per store and 1 to 2 spot monitors per store. We are using Tatung spot monitors with the CCTV passthough.

We have had six cameras fail over the eight weeks, but only the ones tied into the spot monitor.

The power supply fuse is not blowing and all power supplies are on a battery backup with a surge protector.

Two of the failed cameras were replaced with a different manufacturer and they have also recently failed.

I am wondering if something from the spot monitor video input is corrupting the camera video line and either slowly or abruptly causing the cameras to fail.

I can't figure this out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. These are not cheap cameras ($275 a piece) with WDR since the cameras are aimed at the front windows of the business that have a lot of sunlight coming through.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Almost sounds like the spot monitors are frying the video circuits of the cameras. Once the video circuit on a camera gets bad feedback from the device it's hooked to, it's all over with.

Sorry, I can't really help you though, as I don't know how it could be happening. (Only thing I can think of is the monitors could be sending a voltage zap through the BNC connectors when the monitor power is cycled on).

well ideally this is not the best way to set up your cams. You want to run your cams back to a some head end unit like a multiplexer/dvr/distribution amplifier. Then run your video feeds to the spot monitors. I know it sucks for installation but still the way to go.

Have you tried putting in a ground loop isolation transformer?

I know the post doesn't mention ground loops...but isolating the video signal may be worth a shot.