megavolt512

Need to get mjpeg video off Nuvico DVR....

Yep have met a few of them personally, we have done a lot of installs with the nvjv and nvdv line of DVR, and the nvjv series is a pain to get stuff off, usually use the usb drive with my laptop to put on cd or dvd, have to put on thumbdrive then on laptop and burn to cd. Took two days and two trips to Radio Shack and Best Buy to get the right equipment, felt like a fool...

Yeah was looking at the jv series, as its pretty cheap for an 8 channel with LAN, but then the duty to bring it here, I figured I could build a PC based for a lot less in the end ... customs charges 35% duty on video equipment, but its duty free for PCs.

Yep have met a few of them personally, we have done a lot of installs with the nvjv and nvdv line of DVR, and the nvjv series is a pain to get stuff off, usually use the usb drive with my laptop to put on cd or dvd, have to put on thumbdrive then on laptop and burn to cd. Took two days and two trips to Radio Shack and Best Buy to get the right equipment, felt like a fool...

FYI, newer USB flash drives will not work, i.e., bigger than 2GB. Or if it has pre-installed software, you need to uninstall first.

Post subject:

RickA wrote:

FYI, newer USB flash drives will not work, i.e., bigger than 2GB. Or if it has pre-installed software, you need to uninstall first.

Yep was why the two trips to Radio Shack and Best Buy to get the right equipment and the two days....

A program called mini player should be automatically installed to your backup. I just puled up a pdf manual on a NVDVR model which stated this on page 41. Hope this helps!

By the way, did you format your media before the copy?

Somehow, I think we are missing something here. I can‘t imagine a company like Nuvico not providing a way to copy and/or play back video via other means. Therefore, I would like to add to what I mentioned above regarding the Panasonic DVR.

No, you understand mostly. Nuvico does come with a stand-alone player. It is very crude: just play and pause. It will only read their "cms" format files. No reverse. Slow motion. etc.

Sounds good - but I can tell you from first hand experience the cops want a DVD, VHS cassette, or Video CD they can pop in the player. From there they can pause, take stills, etc.

If his model of Nuvico is like all the others, when you make a backup copy to DVD or Video CD it copies a player that will play the clip you wanted to backup to give to someone.

I use dvd xpress dx2. Its just a usb to rca and with nice software for recording... it works great and the police love the quality.

adstech dot com/products/USBAV-709-EF/intro/USBAV-709_intro.asp?pid=USBAV-709-EF

NUVICO CONVERSION SOLUTION!!

With the Nuvico DVR's it's very easy to copy "footage" on the unit to something easy to convert to DVD. When you install the "Nuvico DVR Player" either from their site download page or from the disk included with the unit there is a program automatically installed called "AVI Converter" in the same Windows program folder. After its installed on your Windows system you can find it by clicking START then PROGRAMS then NUVICO DVR PLAYER. It's in that folder you will see AVI CONVERTER.

Now you can either use the DOWNLOAD feature in the player you just installed to save the file you want to your hard drive or you can simply extract the file you want with a USB Flash Drive directly from the unit with the Backup Feature. The unit only supports Flash Drives up to 2 gigs. There is also an option to use the CD Drive (or on some units DVD drive) in the unit itself to do a backup. Either of these ways works well.

After you have the file on the flash drive/CD Disk or on your computer hard drive you can start up the AVI Converter program. Simply select the file location of the proprietary DVR file (the footage you want to convert) and the destination (where you want the converted file to end up) and the channel of the camera you want to convert and click CONVERT. After a few seconds the proprietary DVR file will be converted into an AVI file. It can now be played in any media player program or used to convert the footage to DVD.

If you want to make a DVD then fire up any DVD authoring program like Sonic or Roxio or Nero or even Windows Movie Maker and use the newly created AVI file in that program. Drag and drop it or use the programs method to import it and then select (BURN DVD). Its that easy.

One other option (that works with every DVR out there no matter which model) is to use a DVD recorder like Sony's DVDirect machine. There are new models each year but they all do one thing well. Convert any video and audio footage to a DVD. You would directly hook up the S-Video out from the DVR or use a conversion cable to convert to the BNC SPOT OUT on the rear of the DVR directly to the RCA input on the Sony Directdvd. Then you click record on the Sony DVDirect machine while playing the footage back on the DVR. After the footage is done you select Finalize on the Sony machine and it spits out a usable DVD playable on any DVD player. This works on every DVR which can output a video signal through a RCA/S-Video cable or BNC through an adapter or conversion cable.

If anyone needs help with a Nuvico DVR Series problem I can help.

Good luck guys!

I'm trying to use the AVI Converter, but when I hit "CONVERT" the application just hangs and displays "(Not Responding)" in the title bar.

OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, Service Pack 2

NuvicoDvrPlayerInstaller_2_1_9_7_1

Try contacting Nuvico support. Their team is very helpful and they do not require proof of ownership to troubleshoot problems. Also they may be able to send you an earlier version if the one you have doesn't work. For some applications earlier versions of some of their software work better with older OS's. Good luck!