Rafg

12VDC/24VAC choices

I am going to be using a bunch of different cameras and I would like a power supply that does both 12vdc and 24vac. Also I would like it to plug into wall socket 110V

Any suggestions?

There are several power supplies to go with out there that will give you this option. I would try Altronix. They seem to be pretty good. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks

I know this was a PS question, but on the subject of 12 vs 24v for cameras; other than the basic electronics of higher voltage lower current and the advantage of no polarity issues with AC, what other advantages are there for 24vac?

Isn't the 'line lock' (vertical roll loss of sync between switching cameras) issue solved with these new quad multiplexiers?

24VAC is superior all the way around.

You can also use a setupdown to make any 24VAC power supply 12VDC, these are pretty cheap too.

24VAC is superior all the way around.
Yea, but why?? Proof is in the pudding. Just saying is better tells us nothing. Please, reasons other than what I listed (assuming I'm correct with them).

Longer runs, no polarity issues, no auto white balance issues as experienced with 12VDC under certain florescent lighting, etc.

no auto white balance issues as experienced with 12VDC under certain florescent lighting,
Please explain this one.

(PS; I did mention the polarity advantage .)

no auto white balance issues as experienced with 12VDC under certain florescent lighting,
Please explain this one.

(PS; I did mention the polarity advantage .)

With certain indoor lighting, you will notice that many 12VDC cameras will change color tones back and forth .. replaced with 24VAC, will normally fix that problem. Cant remember the exact technical reason, but thats when i stopped using 12VDC cameras on a whole. Luckily most professional cameras are dual 12VDC/24VAC so the most you normally have to change is the PSU, and where the 24VAC PSU is actually cheaper than the 12VDC unit, along with additional reasons already mentioned, it makes sense for an installer to use 24VAC over 12VDC, whenever possible.

Never heard/saw/knew anything about this. Nice info.

I wasn't claiming 12v was better, just looking for other reasons for 24.

Admittedly it isnt a problem with all 12VDC cameras and lighting. .. but after a couple times .. it was enough for me, even if it only effected 1 or 2 cameras out of say 16 for example .. getting replacement PSU's down here isnt that easy .. Yep I still use 12VDC on the budget cameras, course no choice there ..

I have used the ALTV1224C for 2 years now and it has been great for dual power system 8 of each. The only real drawback is the low amps so if you need heaters and such might be an issue.