stev

GE SymDec-4

Can I obtain the impressive image I hear so much about by using an analog camera (not IP camera) directly connected to the BNC (composite video in) and on the SymDec unit? Keeping in mind this scenario would be bypassing the encoder/decoder (SymNet-5rc) unit ?

My understanding is that the SymDec-4 accepts up to 4 analog BNC inputs and records them at D1 resolution. The SymNet codec can also (according to the specs) encode video at D1 resolution. Being from the same product family they probably use the same encoding chips/compression algorithms, so at comparable quality settings should deliver exactly the same image quality. Whether this image quality is acceptable for your application is another story. I have seen a SymDec-1 in action and it can deliver very good image quality.

i have a symdec 4 in use on site for remote viewing and it does make any camera look as good as it can ..... however if you want to remotely view playback video forget it ... bandwidth hog ... you will need at least 2 mg's upload speed at the site. it is okay for live for a camera or two. It is also just a little better than a beta product, it has little fuctionalitys and is easily freaked out by changes in programing. but hell its cheap anyway.

Freaked out by programming changes I would interpret as necessary to initialize (reboot) following such changes?

thanks for your input.

I don't care what the specs indicate for the symdec-4.

I have made extensive image comparisons against the DVMRe Pro

and conclude the symdec-4 does not emulate the image of the Pro.

Now what to do?

I dont see any significant difference. I assume this is a live shot not playback as you wont get much on playback on the symdec-4 unless you have a couple of megs upload speed at the site regarding remote view.

The images were captured locally, not from a remote site.

I'm one of those people who expect this ducks to remain lined up,

so you think I am being a bit fussy regarding resolution?

Huge difference on my monitor.

First image looks way out of focus.

Although, the image sizes are differnet?

Top image 540 pixels in hight

Bottom image 484 minus the blue band...maybe 440 pixels?

Might be some post processing on bottom image to make it appear sharper?

Hi,

we have problem with viewing the CCTV from remote, we have a typical site installation of 16 analog camera terminate on GE Symdec-16. the upload speed is 512Kbps to the Control center thru IPVPN networks. locally we can view the camera, however when from remote unable to view it. our interim solution is to reset the DVR. it was ok for a while then the problem re-occur. any advice on possible cause of problem & how to overcome the problem.TQ