robca

RemoteViewer 7.05: camera resolution

I have a GV600-4 card running 7.05 software, properly set for remote viewer, on a broadband connection. Currently using only 2 cameras, set for 720x480 NTSC resolution.

When I launch RemoteViewer and connect, the 2 cameras show in a very small 320x240 window inside the bigger RemoteView window. Shouldn't the cameras show as 720x480? I couldn't find any setting (either on the TCP/IP server or the player) to change that.

I know I could use the GeoHTP server and the Web UI (or, even better, Rory's viewer), but I'm a bit paranoid about running the GeoHTP server, even on a port different from 80

Thanks, Rob

There are some settings to change the quality on the Remote Viewer, but it really doesn't make much if any difference. One reason I never use that one also. If its just the size you want tio change, you can click on the little icon in the corner of each video window to make it full view. There is also a full screen option in there somewhere, quality stays the same though.

If you are going to use the HTTP server:

Use Port Filtering - only enable the TCP Ports you will need for Geo, all other ports including the UDP and IP ports should be disabled.

Disable all services not required.

If you want it to be even more secure, don't install any remote desktop admin software on the DVR (including UVNC, VNC, Logmein, etc). Of course this is difficult for most of us as we cant drive to the location all the time.

Yes, I saw the little icon for what's called the "lock" function, but even when zoom is selected, all it does is simply pixel double a low-res image, which just results in bigger pixels

As for the web server, it's not just a matter of closing all ports minus the ones I use (which is something Ihave done anyway), nor changing the default port 80 (which won't stop a port scan). It's that I don't like having a web server running, unless I trust it.

Not long ago, there was a security issue reported agains a previous version of the GeoHT_P server. Once you have a HT_P server, even with only one port, you have a huge open pipe into your PC. I'm running my system on a Windows 2003 Server (long story), completely locked down and patched, and it's safer than most systems out there. While it's true that the GeoHT_P server is not as common to attrack hackers, it's a safe bet to say that there are undiscovered vulnerabilities.

Given I use Win 2003, I am using the remote terminal capability of the OS, so that part is safe, too.

Remoteviewer is in theory safer, as it only sends data, and should not receive any command. I will probably end up writing something on my own, when I have some time. Meanwhile, your program seems the best option

P.s. the forum software has an annoying habit of flagging anything with HT_P (without the underscore) as a forbidden link... should probably check for HT_P: instead of just HT_P

Yeah i cant say for certain how safe it really is as I dont know whats in their code, but once you disable/remove as many services and components as possible, should be fine. There shouldn't be a whole lot they can do once there arent certain services/processes available to utilize and their commands back and forth aren't that much, except a couple I/O commands as per the activeX (though there could be some hidden ones). Though, probably an easier chance of someone locally just pulling the plug

Never used Windows 2003, so cant speak for Remote Terminal.

Personally I would prefer not to use the Geo HTTP server, as i never use the browser myself, but is going to be alot of work to make my own .. and then the clients have to "trust" mine and run it on the DVR .. which will be unlikely with most. The client server part is easy enough, its the streaming video thats the hard part, then even when I get that going, it still needs to be run on the DVR as a separate server ..

Anyway all in time. I really cant stand the Remote Playback software, so Im going to make my own .. somehow .. will need the separate server for that though.

As to the HTTP: thing, its a spam thing for new users the admin added in recently .. I think it stops after a certain number of posts .. but i'll let the admin know about the extra colon .. which would make more sense.

Thanks

Rory