WirelessEye

Aiming IR Illuminators

Was wondering if there are any methods that make it possible to aim IR Illuminators during the day. The reason I ask is because we do daytime installations and then sometimes find out that the IR is not aimed exactly where we need it to be...

Thanks in advance for anyone's help...

I found this out by accident while trying to build my own License Plate Camera. I bought several different NM rating IR filters on Ebay. 4 different NM ratings , 750nm, 830nm, 900nm, 1000nm. Actually, they fit my 5-50mm lens perfectly. Made with Hoya and/or Schott glass. Anyway, I blocked the photocell contol of the IR Illuminator to keep it on during the day. I could "see" via the camera and monitor, where the IR was pointing. Looks pretty strange in the daytime,as there is actually a lot of IR, we just can't see it with our eyes. The IR filters would block ( I am guessing) around 90% of visible light, but allow the IR to come through. I couldn't see the IR on the street (pavement), but I could see where it was pointing on the side of my house and car.

I adapted a small laser pointer that can be temporarily taped to the front

of the illuminator. Still a bit tricky to see the laser dot in bright sunshine

though.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping there was some sort of "CSI" bs like goggles or something that would block out everything except visible light. Nothing like that huh?

The goggles do exist but you have to have one hell of an illuminator to compete with the IR of the sun.

I think your better bet would be an IR pass filter on a cheap BW. You put the camera where you want the IR and then watch the feed while adjusting. When pointed staight on you should be able to see individual LEDs. Never tried it but I have played with IR in a simular way, you can kinda tell when they are pointed directly at each other.

I guess you could make your own, for test purposes. Go to Ebay and purchase an old "military issue" gas mask (USA made preferred). Buy the 900nm ( or a different nm rating for test purposes) GLASS IR Filters, at least 80 mm in diameter to take the place of the eye pieces in the gas mask. In fact, I think I might try that myself!! My son, when he was in high school, used to buy the same gas masks on Ebay, paint them up, add fake hair, etc. and then sell them back on Ebay for over $100 each!!They were supposed to look like some band all the kids listened to.

I guess you could make your own, for test purposes. Go to Ebay and purchase an old "military issue" gas mask (USA made preferred). Buy the 900nm ( or a different nm rating for test purposes) GLASS IR Filters, at least 80 mm in diameter to take the place of the eye pieces in the gas mask. In fact, I think I might try that myself!! My son, when he was in high school, used to buy the same gas masks on Ebay, paint them up, add fake hair, etc. and then sell them back on Ebay for over $100 each!!They were supposed to look like some band all the kids listened to.

Might I suggest welding goggles.

Google "$10 IR Goggles"

The problem is the sun puts out sooo much more IR then any illuminator I have ever seen. It makes it very difficult to discern whats, what and where.

The best and only suggested method is to adjust the Infrared at night. If one is installing a day night application, regardless of Infrared, but even more so with Infrared, they must be there at night also to make adjustments. Without night time setup, the installation will never actually be completed, regardless of the installers opinion on that.

Good point rory.

Although some technicians prefer to do it the hard way; going back multiple times in order to get a decent result out of the installation ... while customers get annoyed.

The little laser pointer works very well at night and allows aiming of the IR

without it being on. I do not like getting too close to these illuminators in

the dark, intense IR can damage your eyesight.

You should be ok as long as your always behind the lamp, and not shining it at a mirror or anything like that. Just like holding a powerful torch, it may blind you if you look at it, but it wont bother you if you point it away from you, as you would when aiming a IR lamp.

There's a greater likelihood of getting eye damage from the sun ....

Even the UF500's, the real powerful ones, they do put a strain on the eyes, but otherwise they are okay ... personally I always wore shades around those anyway ...

The smaller IRs wont effect your eyes at all ... apparently ..

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I was asking was because this setup is about a 4 hour drive (each way) and it is very costly to send a crew out to move 6 illuminators "up an inch" to test.

I suppose we'll just install the illuminators at night from now on, from the beginning.

Light from the sun contains much IR but the visible light causes the eye to close down, protecting the retina.

The eye does not respond to IR so stays wide open if you are in the dark, your retina takes the full blast.

Even powerful illuminators may do little damage if you are a short distance away but close in you are getting the full force.

Damage to eyes by IR was a common problem in foundries and is well documented.

Keep wearing the shades

Yes, I realize that, but you still feel the IR light on your eyes and look away before it ultimately blinds you

Course its never a good idea to look directly at a 100+' IR light ...

Hey, I was just kidding about the "gas mask" goggles!! Wouldn't work, as your eyes cannot see through the IR filter glass. Welding helmet wouldn't work either. You somehow have to "see" the IR via a camera, as I could barely see the direct Sun , looking through a 900nm IR Filter. Welding glass blocks all light. I weld mild and Stainless steels all the time, so I have my share of Welding shades 9, through 12, lenses.

Google it, you can see IR and you can see through many synthetic materials like nylon and polyester. Basically the stuff they make swimsuits out of.

However you won't be able to see much in respect to focusing an illuminator.

I suppose we'll just install the illuminators at night from now on, from the beginning.

I think thats the best plan and how I am still doing it.

I also try to schedule the install to start so that it finishes after dark.

What sucks is convience stores, I need thm to kill all their interior lighting. Sometimes that poses a problem.

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I was asking was because this setup is about a 4 hour drive (each way) and it is very costly to send a crew out to move 6 illuminators "up an inch" to test.

Why not install it in the later afternoon or evening, and it'll be just in time when you are commissoining it.

Well, the bad part is: I have a work crew. Since we service the entire state, some of these installations are hours north. It sucks to have them out so late because they are dragging the next day.